HP Color LaserJet 2600n Drivers...

Reaction score
Hi,

I have this HP Color laserjet 2600n printer, which worked fine when I had Vista.

But then when i changed my os to w7, the printer doesnt work....

So I looked up drivers for the printer in the HP site....

And they dont have one for w7.....

I already have been on their forums, but they ignored/didnt reply....

So if anyone knows where to get the drivers.... please help!

P.S: I tried all the drivers they had on the site for 2600n.....All of them didnt work

Reaction score
ah okay....Its working now....Just in case anyone might also need this info,

just download windows vista 64bit driver

Reaction score
I had downloaded the 64 bit driver for the HP laserjet 2600n but unable to install in my lap top for WINDOWS 7 OS. Can you please help.

Reaction score
HP Color Laserjet 2600N

Hi Guys, wondered if you can help? I have just got windows 7 and am unable to get my printer (HP Color Laserjet 2600N) to work. I have tried installing drivers from HP and using the standard drivers within windows 7. I have also tried using the compatibility mode for both Vista and XP, each time i get the same response - Installation Operation Failed. If anyone has had similar problems and has been able to fix this problem, please can you get in touch and offer some advice. Thank you in advance. Jim

Reaction score
ah okay....Its working now....Just in case anyone might also need this info,

just download windows vista 64bit driver
I have downloaded this driver and still unable to get it to work. Any advice? Thank you Jim

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Hi Jim, can you downloading WinRar (from www.rarlabs.com), this will let you extract files from the driver package (by right clicking on the .exe and selecting "extract to" once WinRar is installed). This will bypass the HP setup process and allow you to install the driver manually within Device Manager.

It's worked almost every time that I've had a driver software problem :)

Reaction score
Hi Jim, can you downloading WinRar (from www.rarlabs.com), this will let you extract files from the driver package (by right clicking on the .exe and selecting "extract to" once WinRar is installed). This will bypass the HP setup process and allow you to install the driver manually within Device Manager.

It's worked almost every time that I've had a driver software problem :)
Hi, Thank you for the reply. I still need a little help please. I have downloaded the files and already have winrar. I have extracted these files and they have been extracted to the programme files HP drivers. I still cant use the printer so i am obviously doing something wrong. I am a little thick so if you could talk me through the process step by step, that'll be great. Thank you in advance. Jim

Reaction score
Hi. Thank you for the link. I have followed this but unfortunately windows says it has found the driver software required but there is a problem installing it. It says i should check the manufacturers website for more info but i cant find any driver info for windoows 7. What a pain! It is a USB device so should be picked up straight away. It is also a fairly new device so i wasnt expecting these sorts of problems. I have an Epson R300 which works without any problems. If you are able to help, it will be very much appreciated. Jim

Veedaz

~
Reaction score
Hi Jim, have you tried installing in the normal way ? extract from winrar (to Here) and first try normal install or right click and run as admin (you could also try Troubleshoot)... and knock of any AV running.

Reaction score
Yes, I have tried everyway i can think of including compatibility mode and running EZ set up from HP. I just do not think it is compatible! Its a complete pain. I was hoping to find someone who had actually managed to install and get the printer working. The person who said that they downloaded the vista drivers said they got it to work but i have tried this also and still no joy. Best regards Jim

Veedaz

~
Reaction score
It may be an idea to contact the person who said they got the Driver to work Jim and ask how ?.

wjt

Reaction score
hp colorjet 2600n

nothing i have tried works, any latebreaking drivers from HP? my hp colorjet 2600n just shows up as an "unspecified device" and cannot see to accept any new drivers (and cannot be deleted)

Reaction score
Windows 7 and Laserjet 2600n

Going to post this out here in the hopes it may help others who have the 2600n Printer. It might work for other printers, too...not sure. Apologies if I left out some "click Next" but hopefully, with the steps provided, it will be logical when you are done inputting on a screen and need to move to next.

Situation: I had just completed a new PC build, and installed Windows 7 (64bit). I was unable to print to my Laserjet 2600n printer (networked). Could print just fine to a direct connect LJ3050 (USB). Print jobs to the 2600n (like the Print Test Page function) simply hung in the queue forever.

Roamed a number of forums, and did not find a definitive answer, that worked. Here are the steps I ultimately went through, and the printer is now working.

1) Somewhere someone noted that they had success by using the PnP printer driver HP has posted here:
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsuppor...&swLang=8&mode=2&taskId=135&swItem=ly-49626-3

Granted, this driver is only designed for direct connected USB setup. I went ahead though and carried my printer from where it was connected to the network, over to where my PC was. Ran the driver install process, and waited until it asked me to connect the printer. All completed well, and test pages would print.

2) Then, I tried to get it connect to the network, by trying to create a new network port (standard TCP port) and supplying the IP Address. Still no joy.

3) Decided to try to tell Windows I was adding a "local" printer. Thus, steps, Press Start>Devices and Printers>Add a printer>Add a local printer. Select "Create a new port" and select "Standard TCP/IP Port" from the adjacent dropdown choices. Click Next.

4) Enter IP address of the printer in the "Hostname or IP address:" box.

5) Provide a port name that makes sense to you.

6) Unchecked the box "Query the printer and automatically select the driver to use." Not sure if this helped or not....but that is what I did. I did not want the printers doing anything to "help" given it had not helped thus far. :)

7) On the "Install the printer driver" dialog box, I found the 2600n under HP (Manufacturer) and selected that printer (the driver should have been there from your previous USB direct connect driver install, from above). Scroll down under "Printers" to find "HP Color LaserJet 2600n" (at least, that is what I clicked). Then click Next.

8) On the "Which version of the driver do you want to use?" dialog box, I chose "Replace the current driver" (again, wanted nothing to do with what already had not proven successful). Click Next.

9) Enter the name you would like to use on the "Type a printer name" dialog box. Click next.

10) I personnally chose "Do not share this printer" on the Printer Sharing dialog screen. Then, I clicked Next.

11) When I got the "....Success....." screen, I pressed the "Print a test page" button, and voila. It worked.

Your actual experience may vary. I am running Windows 7 Professional, so I hope you may be able to translate the above, to your version, if it varies.

Last edited:
Reaction score
PKLocke you are the man

That did it... I have had this happen on multiple Windows 7 computers with this printer. The printer is only about 2 years old and I think it is grossly irresponsible for HP to not support this printer properly. If you look at the list of printers that are native to Windows 7, they include many obscure printers, but they left this one out. The manufacturers provide Microsoft with the printer drivers, so this is really HP's fault.

Anyway, I had tried the usual trick of setting it up as a functioning USB printer and then changing the properties to hook up to first, an existing TCP/IP port and second to a generated on-the-fly port, but neither worked.

I did exactly as suggested by completely adding a new printer and it worked. In my 25 years in IT support, I haven't seen anything like this. Thanks for the assist!

Reaction score
I partially rewrote the above post adding my own observations in italics since they might also help as did pklocke’s post:

Going to post this out here in the hopes it may help others who have the 2600n Printer. It might work for other printers, too...not sure. Apologies if I left out some "click Next" but hopefully, with the steps provided, it will be logical when you are done inputting on a screen and need to move to next.

Situation: I had just completed a new PC build, and installed Windows 7 (64bit). I was unable to print to my Laserjet 2600n printer (networked). Could print just fine to a direct connect LJ3050 (USB). Print jobs to the 2600n (like the Print Test Page function) simply hung in the queue forever.

Roamed a number of forums, and did not find a definitive answer, that worked. Here are the steps I ultimately went through, and the printer is now working.

1) Somewhere someone noted that they had success by using the PnP printer driver HP has posted here:
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport...tem=ly-49626-3

This seems to be the driver that you find by searching for a win 7 64 bit driver in May 2010 at hp.com

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsuppor...odTypeId=18972&prodSeriesId=446153&taskId=135

Granted, this driver is only said to be designed for direct connected USB setup. I went ahead though and carried my printer from where it was connected to the network, over to where my PC was. Ran the driver install process, and waited until it asked me to connect the printer. All completed well, and test pages would print. You don’t need to uninstall the USB driver, just go ahead and add a printer.I had the 2600n connected to a switch when I did the network installation.

2) Then, I tried to get it connect to the network, by trying to create a new network port (standard TCP port) and supplying the IP Address. Still no joy. Test to ping the printer IP address. I couldn’t use an address with .255 at the end.

3) Decided to try to tell Windows I was adding a "local" printer. Thus, steps, Press Start>Devices and Printers>Add a printer>Add a local printer. Select "Create a new port" and select "Standard TCP/IP Port" from the adjacent dropdown choices. Click Next.

4) Enter IP address of the printer in the "Hostname or IP address:" box.

5) Provide a port name that makes sense to you.

6) Unchecked the box "Query the printer and automatically select the driver to use." Not sure if this helped or not....but that is what I did. I did not want the printers doing anything to "help" given it had not helped thus far. :)

7) On the "Install the printer driver" dialog box, I did not find the 2600n under HP (Manufacturer). Windows update found drivers for other laserjets but not the 2600n. But you already have the driver since you installed the printer on USB. Click on have disk and browse to C:\Program Files\HP\HP Color LaserJet 2600 series. The driver installation program wants the CLJ2600.inf and you’ll find match in the directory whic is CLJ2600. Then click open.

Next box asks you to verify the choice. Click OK. You’ll be back to the Install printer driver window but this time the name of the printer shows. Click the name blue, then Next. You could either use the current driver or replace it, I chose to keep it since it could only be the same.

Give the printer a (short) name.

I chose to share it with the short name given before.

8) On the "Which version of the driver do you want to use?" dialog box, I chose "Replace the current driver" (again, wanted nothing to do with what already had not proven successful). Click Next.

9) Enter the name you would like to use on the "Type a printer name" dialog box. Click next.

10) I personnally chose "Do not share this printer" on the Printer Sharing dialog screen. Then, I clicked Next.

11) When I got the "....Success....." screen, I pressed the "Print a test page" button, and voila. It worked.Me to.

Your actual experience may vary. I am running Windows 7 Professional, so I hope you may be able to translate the above to your version.

I then connected the printer to the network over LAN on power line adaptors with a measured rate of 22 mbit/s. This works though LINK speed on the Laserjet is set at 100 mbit/s. full

I used this installation method on a windows 7 64 bit home premium and a win7 64 bit professional. Worked straight away on both.

I can access the printer over the LAN for settings using the printer IP address used for the port.

Before connecting the printer over a network, it would not keep an IP adress which was set manually but all the time reverted to a 169.254.xxx.xxx adress. Hope it keeps stable now,

I’m very grateful to pklocke who posted instructions! The info that HP gives is seriously misleading since they don’t tell you how to do a network installation and the manual won't help you either. Also, they don''t provide 2600 n drivers over windows update.

Ask a Question