SOLVED How to stop Windows 7 shutting down so I can uninstall problem software?

Reaction score
I'm running Windows 7 on Parallels Desktop 5 on Mac OS Snow Leopard on a brand new iMac.

I installed the Parallels Internet security (Kaspersky) before installing Parallels Tools or updating them or something (I thought they were automatically installed in the express Windows install the Parallels does) which I then figured out was a no, no.

And now I can't get Windows to stop shutting itself down and restarting at which it encounters the same error, shuts down, restarts (you get the picture) so that I can uninstall the Internet Security that seems to be causing all the problems.

I'm afraid all this shutting downing and restarting is going to completely screw up my Windows 7 and everything on it ie. all my expensive drafting software that I've already installed in my VM which also I can't uninstall because of this loop I'm in! Please help me figure out how to uninstall this!

----------
My life for the last 2 hours:
1."Parallels Tools are outdated. Wait for automatic upgrade to complete or upgrade manually" - appears along bottom of window
2.Then Parallels Tools Installation Wizard appears
3.Run Once Wrapper has stopped working (click on close the program) - sometimes 4 + 5 don't happen and we just skip straight to 6."Windows has encountered a critical error...."
4.Then Kaspersky error window appears in behind
5.Windows installer window appears: preparing to install
6.Windows has encountered a critical error and will automatically restart in 1 minute
7.Restarts and back to the beginning...Parallels Tools are outdated....

Last edited:
Reaction score
Using Safe Mode and Recovery/Restore to go back in time before the problem existed

Got answer here about interrupting the reboot and starting the VM in Safe Mode:

http://social.answers.microsoft.com...r/thread/fa5dd1ab-1ad8-4aa2-b5fa-ff0ae201aa0b

but if anybody has any comments on the Kapersky internet security problem I'd appreciate hearing them. For now I'm going to go ahead without any internet security and try my best to practice safe computing.

Ask a Question