how to reinstall windows 7 on laptop to change from 32 to 64bit

Reaction score
hi there

i bought a new laptop (toshiba t130) and as such windows 7 came pre-installed on the laptop and so i have no disk!
when i turned on the laptop for the first time the setup came up asking me to select between 32-bit and 64-bit. i decided that i needed to do some more research on the matter so i cancelled the setup.
however, the next time i turned it on windows 7 automatically setup the 32-bit version!!

how can do i do a clean reinstall of windows so as to change it to 64-bit?? (as i have no disk)

thanx :)

Reaction score
Hello simon8 - Welcome to w7forums

Does your Laptop come with a recovery partition?
Restore options at boot for a System Restore.

Reaction score
there does seem to be a recovery partition..

can u please clarify what i need to do? there are no options when booting the latop, windows comes up straight away

thanx

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hi simon8 - Maybe this will help :)
Insert your Windows 7 disc into your laptop's DVD drive and start the installation process.

If using a retail copy of Windows 7, start the installation process by inserting the Windows 7 disc and running setup.

If using a Windows 7 Upgrade Offer media provided by Toshiba, start the installation process by booting from the Windows 7 disc and following the on-screen instructions. You will be prompted to select the 32-bit or 64-bit version of Windows 7. If you're not sure which version to select, you can review Microsoft's frequently asked questions about 32-bit and 64-bit Windows here.
Read more here - http://www.csd.toshiba.com/cgi-bin/tais/support/jsp/outFrm.jsp?ofId=AskIris&searchString=On+first+use+32+bit+64

NeoSmart Technologies is hosting a copy of the Windows 7 Recovery Disc for your convenience. It's a 143 MiB download (165 MiB for the 64-bit version), and in the standard ISO format, ready to burned directly to a CD or DVD. Don't wait until your PC crashes to download a copy! Download and burn your recovery disc today, so that when the time comes, you'll be ready!
What it does: The Windows 7 Recovery Disc can be used to access a system recovery menu, giving you options of using System Restore, Complete PC Backup, automated system repair, and a command-line prompt for manual advanced recovery.

What it doesn't do: You cannot use the Windows 7 Recovery Disc to re-install Windows - it only fixes (not replaces!) Windows.

Why you need it: If you bought your PC from a major retailer, you didn't get this CD with your hefty purchase.
Read more here - http://neosmart.net/blog/2009/windows-7-system-repair-discs/

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
Do you have a Product Key sticker attached to the laptop?

Did Toshiba provide a Product Key at all?

You should be able to download an x64 Windows 7 OS ISO image file from somewhere on the internet. Then you can do a clean install of the x64 OS.

Reaction score
Do you have a Product Key sticker attached to the laptop?

Did Toshiba provide a Product Key at all?

You should be able to download an x64 Windows 7 OS ISO image file from somewhere on the internet. Then you can do a clean install of the x64 OS.
This is a very good idea

I have heard that the keys are not 32Bit 64Bit specific. The same key will work with either edition. The only thing you need is a copy of the 64Bit install media.

Reaction score
Does your Laptop come with a recovery partition?
Restore options at boot for a System Restore.
dear clifford, i have the same problem with simion 8 and i have tried using system restore.
however, the system restore didn't go smoothly as it said that there was an error in handling my antivirus software (which is Norton 60 days trial).

THEN, a HUGE crash happen in my laptop as it can't execute any executable files and after a while it keeps shutting down by itself. I cant deactivate my antivirus software and continue the system restore (as told by the system itself).

one of my relatives said that i should go to nearest TOSHIBA center and get it fixed but it will took quite a long time and i really eager to play with my laptop soon since i have just bought it 2 days ago. is there any easier solution?=(

N.B. i'm sorry for any grammar mistakes since i'm not an english speaker.

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
Reaction score

Ask a Question