How to reduce the Taskbar - or icons

Reaction score
The icons are tad too big:
I have Googled this and there seems to be only one solution- that is open the Task Bar & Start Menu Properties, then check "Use Small Icons"

So - my choices are - small or large ?
There seems to be no in between - yes or is their a work around?

If there was a way to adjust the size of the task bar, which will then adjust the size of the icons that would be great.

My goal is somewhere in between the systems default small and large.

Reaction score
Hi sethm1

The only other way that I know about is to change the screen resolution.
However I would find this an unexceptable solution.

Reaction score
you can right click on the desktop and get three options for the desktop icons

Reaction score
sethm1 he was referring to the desktop icons not the taskbar which you are asking about.

Right click desktop and look under View there is three options to change the desktop icons. You can also simply click on the desktop then while holding the ctrl key use the mouse scroll wheel to change the size of the desktop icons(special thanks to davehc for showing me). However this does not solve your question.

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
My sympathies. I have very few dislikes with Windows 7. I do not use the taskbar a great deal, as I find it simpler to put shortcuts on the desktop. But there was, on another forum, an ongoing list of "irrritations" with Windows 7. That "in between" size of the taskbar icons was one that I listed. It seems an odd option from a large programming gang like Microsoft. Almost looks like they got tired of looking for a more variable set of options for the size

Reaction score
Oh well, thanks anyways.
I was afraid of the outcome.

Given those Windows & ads - "It was my idea" - or something like that, wonder if I could write to M/S and ask them to add into SP1. Yeah right.

Ask a Question