How to move User profile directory c:\User\Profile

Reaction score
Good day

I tried to move to C:\Users\Profiles directory from drive C: to D: Was not able because will i want to move this directory, i have to have it opened under my user name or another one.

I want to leave the C: drive to Windows only. All other files to be put on D:

Maybe a dummy question, but i just don't know how to do it.

Any help very appreciated

Martin

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
As far as I'm aware there isn't a way to move the entire c:\Users folder to a new drive. You can move sub folders like documents or pictures by using this method, but I don't think you can move the entire directory easily.

Reaction score
OK, I will look arround to move sub files

Will look also to the possibility to extend my C:\ drive capacity

Many thanks Ian

Martin
Montreal, Canada

Reaction score
Why are you trying to do this Martin, perhaps there is something else that will accomplish this. Is it just because you are running out of space?

Kougar

OCing one chip at a time
Reaction score
Mtheriualt, one option it sounds like you are looking for might be to move the location the files inside a specific folder are stored?

For example, go to your C:\User folder, then right-lick -> Properties on your "My Documents" folder. Select the Locations tab, and you will be presented with the ability to store this folder anywhere, including folders residing on other drives. The folder would work like it always does, but the actual files would be stored where you wanted them.

Reaction score
I have moved my users folders to a separate partition. If you still have issues let me know and when I get home I will let you know what I had to do.

Reaction score
I have moved my users folders to a separate partition. If you still have issues let me know and when I get home I will let you know what I had to do.
Good day, Bilbo_28

I didn't get a chance to work again on this problem. Time fly with others priority.

Yes, i would like to know your solution. Should work on that over the weekend.

Martin

Ask a Question