How to move C:\Users\Public to 2nd hard drive ?

Reaction score
I just recieved my RMA'd Western Digital Caviar Black 1.0 TB. hard drive from New Egg yesterday. I've already moved my User folders to the new drive.
Does anyone on the forum no how to move C:\Users\Public to my second hard drive as D:\Users\Public ?
I especially want the Recorded TV folder there.
Any help with this is appreciated.

Reaction score

Attachments

Reaction score
Edit the Public key at this location in Regedit:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList

Reboot.

Reaction score
What do I change the Public keys settings to ?

What do I change the Public key's setting's to ? D:\Users\Public ? Does this move the contents of the Public folders or do I need to creat the D:\Users|Public folder and sub-folders ?
Edit the Public key at this location in Regedit:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList

Reboot.

Attachments

Reaction score
Reaction score
Changed registry key

I changef the registry key to D:Users\Public after taking ownership of Public folder. It only moved the following folders without there contents. Public Documents, Public Music and Publick Videos. It didn'y move Sample Music, Sample Videos or Recorded TV. I copied these folders over to D;Users\Public and put them where they are suppposed to go. ie: Sample Videos in Public Videos, Sample Pictures in Public Pictures and Sample Music in Public Music. Is there anything else I need to do? PS Pblic folder categories don't have a Location tab.
Yes, D:\Users\Public in place of %SystemDrive%\Users\Public.
Idwote] iAfter reboot, the folder should move. If not, you need to move it manually, first taking ownership of it.

Same stuff as TG linked:

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/move-the-public-folder-in-windows-vista/

You can also move individual user folders by right clicking on them -> properties -> location -> change path

(picture from ghacks.net)

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Never tried with public folders, it may be you don't have high enough access to move public.

In general I have found the easiest way to move the folders is to drag and drop & the system is smart enough to move system pointers when the folder moves.

Ask a Question