how to install windows 7 32bit in Compaq Presario CQ40 Laptop?

Reaction score
Hello,

currently i using windows xp on my laptop Compaq Presario CQ40 but i want to install windows 7 32 bit os.
is it support windows 7 32 bit os in Compaq Presario CQ40 Laptop?
if yes then how?

Thanks in advance.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
You should turn on all your peripheral devices (printers, scanners, etc) and run the Windows 7 Upgrade advisor to let it scan for potential upgrade issues.

If drivers are not available for your computer or it doesn't meet the system requirements then upgrading may be a bad idea. If drivers are not available for your printer, scanner, etc then you may have to buy new hardware to make it work w/ W7.

But if you do proceed then Check out this upgrade info at Microsoft. Be advised it takes a custom install to go from XP to W7. This means you must back up all your data and settings (I recommend you download Windows Easy Transfer for 32-bit WinXP and install it on your XP machine to assist with this). And you will have to reinstall all your programs after W7 is installed, so you will need the install programs (from DVD or if you downloaded them then maybe on USB flash drive).

Also something to consider, Windows 8 is due out in about a month and is supposed to be priced cheaper than W7 in most countries so at this point it may be worth waiting to either buy W8 or to buy W7 at sell-off prices.

Reaction score
is your xp 32 bit or 64 bit, if you buy a oem system builders pack, it will load all the drivers you need, and in updates it will give you compatable drivers for your hardware.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
if you buy a oem system builders pack, it will load all the drivers you need, and in updates it will give you compatable drivers for your hardware.
Windows 7 does include drivers for MOST equipment but you can never be sure it will have everything for your model so it is a good idea to have them "in case". If the driver you are unlucky enough NOT to have is, for example, your network NIC card, then you may not have access to the internet to download updates at all.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Windows 7 does include drivers for MOST equipment but you can never be sure it will have everything for your model so it is a good idea to have them "in case". If the driver you are unlucky enough NOT to have is, for example, your network NIC card, then you may not have access to the internet to download updates at all.
i wasnt sure of it at first, just took the word of the sales man at compusa, paid 99 bucks for it. got home turn this laptop on, deleted all data on hard drive, it repartition itself to 148 gb, which acer had it 68.9 drive c 68.9 drive d, it took 100 mb for system reserve, 18.5 for the install, after install was asked to connect to internet, i opted out as i was told to do. put key in then connected to internet, first download was windows update agent, then rest updates restarted several times the configure updates. in device manager a lot of them are listed as microsoft composite as such as the battery. monitor is list as a composite generic pnp, wifi was listed as microsoft mini port, which is now atheros ar5007eg network adapter. when it updated the the atheros driver was included along with the realtek pcie fe family controller. a ati x1200 compatable driver, after all the updates were installed i then went to mnufactures website download what driver i need from there, which was the vga driver, realtek hd audio driver, and my webcam driver. recently my laptop blue screened when i tried to eject my tvw750u tv tuner, i re-installed windows, but this time i hid the update for the ati x1200 graphics. downloaded graphics driver from acer and installed.

Ask a Question