How to Easily Backup Your Keys for Windows 7

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
How to Backup and Restore Windows 7 Activation Status.

Problem:
Every time I reinstall the Windows 7 operating system I have to activate on-line so now I want to backup and restore windows 7 activation status. If your re-installing a lot and don't want to burn up your activations or the internet is down it can be a problem to get activated. But the problem is how to do that and not activate on-line.

Solution:

Using Token Restore RETAIL Tool by Paymyrent
Token Restore will back-up the activation files: tokens.dat, pkeyconfig.xrm-ms and your key, don't change key.txt because it's used to restore the activation. Then you don't go online to get activated if you have to reinstall Windows 7

Make sure you have activated Windows 7 on-line with your key and do the following:

For RETAIL version or OEM SLP Activation:

Download the correct Windows 7 Activation Backup Tool:
View attachment Token restore.zip

Run "Token Restore.exe"

Click "Backup" button and browse for folder you have made to save your Windows 7 activation status to files. Use the "Make New Folder" and name it "Windows 7 Backup Activation" or whatever you choose to name it.

Token Restore is saving Windows 7 activation information.

Finally, the activation status is saved as three files.

You must keep these three files (key.txt, pkeyconfig.xrm-ms and tokens.dat) in good condition and don't make any changes to them.

Keep the three files on another drive or CD-RW disc along with the Windows 7 Activation Backup tool.

To restore Windows 7 activation status, just click "Restore" button and locate the backup files you saved before. I just keep the three backup files and the Token Restore program in the same folder and use it from that folder.

Tips

Those tools must be used on your OWN GENUINE Windows 7 to make a backup of the activation.

Once you have backup windows 7 activation status you can restore any time when you reinstall windows 7. The only condition is there should not be any hardware change and this tool is not for bypassing windows 7 activation. You must have genuine windows 7 product key to use this tool.

I have used this tool and it works! Once you have the three files backed up, it is a very simple matter to do the restoration of the key on the new install.

P.S.
I am not the original author of this guide/tutorial, it was written by PAYMYRENT
I originally got this little guide from: www.mydigitallife.info Then a friend of my did the screenshots and re-worded it to make it easier to understand.
Then I had done a "Copy & Paste" of it to a Word document and stored it on one of my external hard drives, it was from the Word document I did the "Copy & Paste" to here plus uploading the image files to: www.imageshack.com for the direct linking of the images.

Last edited by a moderator:

Fire cat

Established Member
Reaction score
Thanks Niburu!
I will definitly back-up my Windows 7 activation key as soon as I get my computer back ;)

Good tutorial/guide!

Cheers,
Fire Cat

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
What an interesting idea. Nibiru. I tried it and it is cute. Thanks for the heads up.
I use an Acronis image, for new installations, with a virgin, activated OS. This saves a great deal of work when you need to satrt over. But the program mentioned, certainly has some advantages under different circumstances. I used it and was surprised at the speed.
I can see that, if junior family members could have access, this could, however, have serious hacking possibilities?? On the other hand, there are plenty of other third party keyfinder proggies around, so the munchkins are probably already in there.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
When you say that "the only condition is there should not be any hardware change", are you referring to the MOBO, or other parts, such as the RAM, hard drive, processor, etc.? The MOBO is usually what's being checked by the process.

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
Basically the motherboard and the CPU, because those are what's affected by drivers and the operating system's kernel.

Only the OEM MS activation does a "check" of the motherboard. These files store more information than what the MS activation check does with an OEM installation.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
OK, I understand now. That's why during a "recovery install" (OEM), you don't have to go through this process. When you first boot, it's already done for you. Over there on my laptop, they wouldn't get to check the CPU, it's been at 100% for nearly two days, without even blinking.:D That is a really good program to have on hand.

Ask a Question