How to create a system restore disk

Reaction score
OK I had to do a freash install yet agian, got a virus and enstead of trying to remove it I decided on freash install. I want to create a system restore disk yet I am unshure how to do it with in W7. the type of disk I am referring to is the kind like you get with a brand new computer that has all your programs and setting already after installation. since I havent seen any thing mabey we can get one of the W7 gods on the forum to give us a step by step walk through

Reaction score
Here is a Google search of info for you to get you started. I have never tried disk imaging before so I don't know the particulars.
Basically, you do your fresh install and when you get it to a point that you are happy with, all set up with your apps you want installed, etc, you make a disk image. Any problems, you restore to your boot drive/partition from that image.

I have heard Norton Ghost is a good program. It will image the Registry, which some other software do not. There are free alternatives to Ghost out there.

Have fun!! :rock:

Reaction score
Here is a Google search of info for you to get you started. I have never tried disk imaging before so I don't know the particulars.
Basically, you do your fresh install and when you get it to a point that you are happy with, all set up with your apps you want installed, etc, you make a disk image. Any problems, you restore to your boot drive/partition from that image.

I have heard Norton Ghost is a good program. It will image the Registry, which some other software do not. There are free alternatives to Ghost out there.

Have fun!! :rock:
I am staying away form norton and symatic software due to the fact of ........... yea your personal information isnt safe with them and there "partners"

Reaction score
There is another excellent freebie called Macrium Reflect from Paramount - a British Company.

The free version will image drives/partitions , you can schedule backups and you can mount the images to restore individual files/folders if you wish rather than restoring the entire image.

It is extremely small ( 27 mb ) and the fastest in the industry.

You can restore the image from the windows GUI if you are booted into another o/s, or from the boot disc you run off from within the program.

You may like to check it out:

http://www.macrium.com/reflectfree.asp

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
There is another excellent freebie called Macrium Reflect from Paramount - a British Company.
Thanks for the heads up on that, I've not tried it before - but as it's free and works in Windows 7 I might as well :)

Reaction score
Yea thanks guys, Usually I just do two installations, so if one frags up then I have a second to brick....

I will see what my Hdd is and if there is a free utility......

Thankls W7 for fast replys

Ask a Question