How to copy a bootable CD, not a Windows CD

Reaction score
I have a bootable CD with Norton Ghost on it that I use to backup my partitions to a second drive. I want to make a copy of this disc before it doesn't work anymore but how? I've spent almost half a day googling how to do this simple task and can't find and answer. I'm not trying to copy my windows CD.

Reaction score
I've not tried it myself ( with a bootable CD) but free burner programs like imgburn or infrarecorder (both free downloads) have option for CD copy.. you could try one of those.

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
Yes, just use ImgBurn, it's a free burning app and does a good job.

You can download it at: www.imgburn.com

What you do is first "Create an Image from Disc" function.

Then, "Write an Image to Disc" and you'll be all set.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
I'm with Nibiru, ImgBurn will handle most any of your burning/copying needs. I've never tried to make a copy of commercial software before, some discs may have copyright protection built in. If so, you may have problems. All you can do is try and see.

Cat

Reaction score
Will it copy a bootable CD? I'm not trying to copy commercial software. This is a disc a coworker made that boots and has a menu of options he made that will launch Norton Ghost.

Reaction score
You know how we can format a floppy and check the box that says "Make bootable"? It will copy the system code to make it boot. Why can't we have the same option for making bootable CDs? Why does everything have to be so difficult?

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
Will it copy a bootable CD? I'm not trying to copy commercial software. This is a disc a coworker made that boots and has a menu of options he made that will launch Norton Ghost.
ImgBurn will handle what you want to do, it's a free app. There is a copy option there. If it's bootable, the copy will be, too.

They try to get you to install a toolbar, but you can uncheck those options easily.

Cat

Fire cat

Established Member
Reaction score
As far as I know, all CDs and DVDs are bootable by default, as long as you have something to boot into.

ImgBurn is a great tool, as well as Nero.

Nibiru2012

Reaction score
svrich -
Yes, ImgBurn takes an "image" of the CD and burns it exactly as it is on the disc.

You know how we can format a floppy and check the box that says "Make bootable"? It will copy the system code to make it boot. Why can't we have the same option for making bootable CDs? Why does everything have to be so difficult?
That's because on a floppy disk, MS DOS is copied on to the disc, which allows it to boot into a DOS enviroment.

FC -
As far as I know, all CDs and DVDs are bootable by default, as long as you have something to boot into.
Not necessarily so, making a bootable CD or DVD is an option which is chosen when burning the disc.

Reaction score
Thanks, I used imageburn and the resultant CD was bootable. Yay! something worked!

Reaction score
[/QUOTE]That's because on a floppy disk, MS DOS is copied on to the disc, which allows it to boot into a DOS enviroment.
[/QUOTE]

Yes why can't that be done for CDs as well?

Nibiru2012

Reaction score
That's because on a floppy disk, MS DOS is copied on to the disc, which allows it to boot into a DOS environment.

Yes why can't that be done for CDs as well?
It can, you just have to select "Create a bootable CD" option in whatever burning program you're using. Some offer the option others don't. With some programs it will be in the "Advanced' section also.

ImgBurn gives you the function to make a bootable CD with several bootable options to choose from.

Ask a Question