How To Change Serial In Win 7 Pro

Reaction score
I have two win 7 boxes that claim to be not genuine. I got them second hand. So I got a genuine serial number and went to input it.

Couldn't.

One box doesn't have 'change number' choice at the bottom of the system screen after right clicking 'computer' and then 'properties' - it is just not there.

The other box has i there and doesn't respond. Click all day, nothing happens.

Googled a lot and found a place showing how to use slmgr.vbs from the command box to do it but then it turned out the computer didn't recognise it as a valid command!

What can I do? Got to go for complete reinstalls?

Reaction score
  1. Click the Start button
  2. Right-click Computer
  3. Select Properties
  4. Scroll down window and click 'Change Product Key'
or
Click on the Start Button and type: CMD (into the 'Search programs and files' field in the Start Menu)
  1. The Start Menu will show 'CMD.exe',
  2. Right-click the CMD.exe file and select Run As Administrator.
  3. In the CMD window, type: slmgr.vbs -ipk <type your product key here>
  4. To activate windows after changing the key, type: slmgr.vbs -ato

Reaction score
Thanks for that. But without being impolite perhaps I can refer you back to my post wherein I say that the steps you outline don't work for me?

Seems to me perhaps you didn't read any further than the title. Tut, tut.

Got it fixed by searching for slmg*.* and finding it there alright but with added crap at the end of it. Some attempt to disable windows validity schemes I think.

So I renamed it and then I was able to do a command line change and validate.

So all's good.

:)

Ask a Question