how to change icon for file type?

Reaction score
Hello, I have two different programs that use .nzb files. The two programs are Newsbinpro v6 and Forte' Agent (latest ver). The problem is forte dominates the icon view and I'd rather get back the newsbin icon view (since I don't use forte for .nzb files) I was able to change this with windows xp sp3, can I do it with win7? TIA

Computer Type ACPI x64-based PC
Operating System Microsoft Windows 7 Professional
OS Service Pack Service Pack 1
Motherboard
CPU Type DualCore AMD Athlon II X2 255, 3100 MHz (15.5 x 200)
Motherboard Name Gigabyte GA-880GM-UD2H (2 PCI, 1 PCI-E x1, 1 PCI-E x16, 4 DDR3 DIMM, Audio, Video, Gigabit LAN, IEEE-1394)
Motherboard Chipset AMD 880G, AMD K10
System Memory 11772 MB (DDR3-1333 DDR3 SDRAM)

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Go to Control Panel > Default Programs. then ...

Easiest would be to see if Newsbinpro is listed under the "Set your default programs" section. If it is then select it and click "Set this program as default".

Otherwise pick the "Associate a file type or protocol with a specific program" and select file type NZB and then assign it to Newsbinpro

Digerati

Post Quinquagenarian
Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Do you really want to change the file "association"? That does NOT seem to be what you are asking - unless I need more coffee.

If you change the association, then every time you click on a file that uses the .nzb file extension, that program will attempt to open that file. Is that what you want? Or are you just trying to change the icon image?

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
You could try right clicking a nzb file and selecting "Open with", if available. You will then have to browse to your Newsbinpro program .exe, and select that. Make sure, in the window, you have the small box selected - "Always use..etc."

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Based on reading this ...
since I don't use forte for .nzb files
... I think changing the file association would be the ideal solution.

That way when he clicks on an NZB file it will open with Newsbinpro automatically and Windows explorer icons for those files will show as the Newsbinpro icon.

Digerati

Post Quinquagenarian
Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
And that's okay as long as Newsbinpro knows what to do with those other NZB files. If it does not know what to do with them, then the opened file (if it even opens) will likely be a scrambled mess of garbled characters.

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
As I understand it, I don't use the concept myself, but Newsbinpro is one of the principal users of such files, so it should not be a problem.

Digerati

Post Quinquagenarian
Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
As I understand it, I don't use the concept myself, but Newsbinpro is one of the principal users of such files, so it should not be a problem.
It should not be a problem if the file was created by Newsbinpro. But here's the problem. Let's say a file is created by Forte Agent called filename.nzb. But your file associations say that nzb files should be opened by Newsbinpro.

If you double clicked on that file, Windows would see the nzb file and use Newbinpro to open it instead of Forte Agent and it would likely look something like this:
¼•ËjÃ0E÷…þƒÑ¾‘å¼Kì,Z
Ù¶éyü ¶d4ê#ß!MR5 áaFøÞ£Ë0Z*?Û&z‹µÑ)£˜E*•Ék]¦ìuût·`:©sÙ
)Û²uv{³z†F:ú «ºÃˆT4¦¬r®»çU*Ä‘é@ÓIal+•¶äT;YOâxÆío
–iF›<ev““ÿvß‘óÿÚ¦(jF½µ*Ý þaì+ G¢Ò–àRÖ·N#"fü2Œ‡¤ÁJZÈ_œ¥°ñDtÖöÑ…és8ô*c4cÌ<d2½óß0sŒHBÒ*Û74öýÈ|×>ÿ*öW„‘ø`DÈ,®€>˜ÙÀ03Œ£¥§)9”üðõ&28‘©7Úÿƒ®[ûp&ÓL|0Ëa–>4%õPÉZÓïbßú¡àg/~ö ÿÿ PK   ! ê²Tÿ   xl/workbook.xmlŒS]oâ0|?éþƒåwš>‹ÕÑ;D¥ë 
Ï&Ù ÇŽl§Ðßµ9ƒtÒ=%k{Æ3³ëéÓ¹ä´áJ¦´ûS2S9—‡”¾o1%Æ2™3¡$¤ô }š}ÿ6=)}Ü+u$H MJKkëI™¬„Š™UƒÄBéŠY,õ!2µ–›ÀV"JâxUŒKza˜èÿáPEÁ3ø©²¦i/$³(ß”¼6t6-¸€íÅauý‡U¨û,(ÌØ_9·§´¥:ÁÍ‚nêyÃ…ÛÄ#ÍZ“+Mö,;6õ¹1&Jr(X#ìÝ^/Ãõ¤Ÿ$CtÉl9œÌ_W’óŽË\R:Œ1éÏkÕyÄêä·v<·eJ“þ*ß®-Jëø{£%–íߜ㔎“%×Æ®]¬^Ë,ÿ€
Û§´ç¤D>jò_"}2 ¥›Š¼ÄEe°ßŽëc@ŸzÂñG¿ä]Çâæ»5égUÕÅ´fÛÂ’Ãpž¤
qh*Åyé7×q!Âýàpÿþ’Õâù,Uªa Ü^“Y¦š[A£ âÛ
BÈR ÷PBYø\Z~„BÈœYŒŠßfœˆñ½®ù*pÐÅhÉï¾nWdmñ±…ˆ›ÆyA8εûø^'ƒQâs‰®O{ö ÿÿ PK   ! 2˲$l 96  xl/worksheets/sheet4.xmlœ[Ysã8~ߪù.=Í>¬l>*ÉTb[·luŽ™Ý}sÇJâj'ÎÚîôô¿_ÔA²ät?t’
A
That was created by saving an Excel spreadsheet with a file name with a .txt extension. Of course Windows associates Notepad with .txt files so it looks like the above when I double-click on it unless I consciously tell Windows to "open with" Excel each time I open it.

If you rarely use Forte Agent, and have very few files created with it, then I agree it should not be much of a problem. But if you have lots of files created with both programs, that could become a real PITA.

Ask a Question