How do I enable full DNS Client Event logging in Windows 7?

Reaction score
On Windows 8 machines and up, when I enable DNS Client Event logging through the event viewer (The log named Microsoft-Windows-DNS Client Events/Operational), the log quickly fills up with many events.

However, when I turn on that logging service on Windows 7 machines - it only logs a small percentage of event IDs that Windows 8 and 10 log.

For example - Event ID 3008 - which means that a DNS request for a particular domain has finished processing - does not seem to appear at all in windows 7, but is frequently seen in the DNS Client event logs for windows 8.

My windows 7 machines are all up to date on Windows updates, if that makes a difference.

My question is this - is there a way to turn on Windows 8+ style logging for DNS Client events on Windows 7 machines? Could it be as simple as modifying a registry value? Is there another way to get DNS Client resolution information on Windows 7 machines?

Thank you very much in advance

Ask a Question