How do I convert from W7 32 bit to 64 bit on new computer

Reaction score
Hi all,
Let me start by saying that I am pretty new to trying anything custom with computers. In the past I have always been a "buy it and use it" person so please take that into consideration with your replies. I have been using a Compaq Presario CQ62 with Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit for a few years and have been happy with it. However through lots of hard use (I'm a mechanic and it is my shop computer) the plastic housing has broken and I decided its time to get something new.

I bought a Gateway LY4010u (64 bit capable) figuring the smaller size would work better for my needs. After about an hours use I realized the factory 1gb RAM was way too small so I have already replaced it with a 4gb. The netbook came with W7 starter and I wanted Home premium like my Compaq has so I upgraded with the easy upgrade option and it is working well but I would like to get the 64 bit version to tale advadtage of more ram upgrades in the future. I understand that I need to do a clean install however I have no disk drive on the netbook. Is there a way to link the two computers together with either a Ian or Ethernet cable to boot my netbook using the old laptop so that I can get the 64 bit version loaded? Since this is a new computer I haven't loaded any programs or files on it yet, it is still as it came from the factory with the exception of the Windows upgrade. What I am hoping to do off possible is to backup the metbook on the hardrive of the Compaq then install Windows 7 64 bit from the Compaq laptop onto the Gateway netbook. Is this possible?

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Unfortunately you will not be happy with what I have to say.

If the license on your Compaq Presario came pre-installed on the computer then it is OEM and cannot be moved to another computer.

On your Gateway you used Anytime Upgrade from starter to H.P.; starter is only available in 32-bit so you can never Anytime Upgrade it to any 64-bit edition, so if you want to change to 64-bit then you wasted money on an anytime upgrade.

Your only option if you want 64-bit is to actually buy a 64-bit W7 Home Prem upgrade or full version license (NOT an Anytime upgrade) and then on a 4GB or larger flash drive create a bootable copy of W7 Home Prem (see how HERE). Then boot the netbook to the flash drive, format the hard drive and install 64-bit H.P.

Reaction score
When I did the easy upgrade all I did was input the product key from the Compaq and it installed just fine, just in the 32 bit version. I am working now on getting the ISO downloaded and set up on a flash drive to do the clean install. But as far as I can tell I should have no problems using the same product key. They way I look at it, if it worked to upgrade to Home Premiun 32bit it should be fine to do Home Premium 64bit right?

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Correct me if I am wrong, but what you are calling the "easy upgrade" was a Windows Anytime Upgrade from W7 32-bit Starter to W7 Home Premium. Starter is only available in 32-bit, so there is no way you can install a 64-bit starter and therefore you cannot anytime upgrade from starter to anything 64-bit.

It is impossible to install W7 Home Premium directly and activate it with an Anytime Upgrade key; you must alays install starter with the starter license (likely built into the BIOS so you don't actually key it in) and then type in your Anytime upgrade key to move up to Home Prem. Since you cannot install a 64-bit starter you can NEVER anytime upgrade it to any 64-bit W7 version.

Reaction score
Ok let me clarify. I got the new Gateway and t camewith Windows 7 Starter. I did the Anytime upgrade and put in the Product key for Windows7 Home Premium from my Compaq. I got successful upgrade to Windows 7 Home Premium on the Gateway. But as you said since the Gateway came with Starter which is 32 bit, when I did the Anytme upgrade, it only upgraded to the 32 bit Home Premium. I did it this way beore fully understanding that the Anytime upgrade would not convert 32 to 64. So now I am downloading the 64 bit ISO to do a clean install of the 64 bit Home Premium on the Gateway

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Ok let me clarify. I got the new Gateway and t camewith Windows 7 Starter. I did the Anytime upgrade and put in the Product key for Windows7 Home Premium from my Compaq.
First: Illegal, you cannot use the same product key on two machines (except from multi-user licensing packs). Second: a W7 Home Prem key is very different from an Anytime Upgrade key so it should not be possible to use a regular home prem license to perform an anytime upgrade.

Regardless, as I have explained you can not LEGALLY do what you want to do and here we only discuss legal solutions so I will have to close this thread. Legally if you want 64-bit Home Prem then you need to buy it and use the flash drive installation method.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
OK, in private messages it has become clear there is nothing illegal going on. Just to clear things up for anyone reading, you bought an upgrade Home Premium license for your Compaq (not an anytime upgrade and not OEM), way back when. Now you want to transfer that license to the new Gateway and shut down the old Compaq completely (because it is damaged).

So that type license is perfectly legal to transfer to a new computer. The type of upgrade is very important in regards to legally moving it so I am glad we could clear that up.

OK, so with a transferable Home Premium license then all you need to do is download the W7 Home Premium SP1 in 64-bit which I understand you have already done. Then with a 4GB or larger flash drive and the flash drive tool HERE you should be able to create a bootable flash drive.

In the BIOS make sure the flash drive is set to boot first, before the hard drive. Then format the hard drive and install W7 Home Prem 64-bit from the W7 flash drive and activate using your valid license. Then on your old computer use Windows Easy Transfer to back up all your data/settings to an external drive or upload it to the cloud, etc. Then get that backup on to your new computer and use windows easy transfer to restore your data/settings. Now install your programs and you should be operational. At that point you can trash your old damaged computer.

Last edited:

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Oh, one important thing you might want to do before you format your new netbook. It is a good idea to go to the Gateway website and download all the 64-bit drivers for your netbook so that you have them on another flash drive in case you need them. Most you can easily download after installation once you connect to the internet but what if the drivers you are missing are for your network interface card or something else that would prevent you from getting to the internet at all? So best to be safe.

Reaction score
Ok I have the Gateway 64 bit drivers downloaded, have put the 64 bit ISO on a USB drive and have booted the Gateway. I am uner the custom install at the screen askingme where I want to install Windows. I have three partions:
1. PQSERVICE 13.0GB 3.3GB free OEM (RESERVED)
2. SYSTEM RESERVED 100.0MB 70.0MB free SYSTEM
3. Gateway 285GB 252.6GB free Primary

I need to delete all three correct?

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
"Need", no, not really. Just the Gateway 285GB is required.

But personally I would actually drop all the partitions and then reallocate as one single partition.

The 13GB is likely the W7 Starter "DVD" and restore info, which if you are never going back, you will never need.

The 100mb is created on W7 install (unless the drive was formatted) but is not essential so I get rid of that too.

Ask a Question