Hit and Miss booting into Widows 7 on new computer

Reaction score
I have a brand new HP computer that came with Windows 7 built in it already. Sometimes it gets to the "starting windows" screen then goes to my background screen with no icons or anything else on the page. I wait 5 or 10 minutes and still nothing. So have to power down and back up. Sometimes the 2nd time it will go to the welcome screen, and work fine from there, other times it takes 3 or 4 tries. I exchanged the computer for another one of the same model and this 2nd computer is doing the same thing. A few times I even got a black screen instead of the "starting Windows" screen, but then it went to the welcome screen and worked fine after that. Other times, it starts just fine. Is there a fix for this or do I have to live with it?

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
I would take the computer back to where you bought it and exchange it for another one. Since this is your second HP, I would get an Toshiba. Acer or a Lenovo, much better systems. HP laptops especially are having problems these days.

Is this a laptop? IF it is, I would get a Toshiba instead. Go in and stand up for your consumer rights! If you got if from Best Buy, don't even let their Geek Squad touch it, all that will do is screw it up royally.

Be sure to test the replacement in the store to be sure it works properly. Average boot up time is about 45 seconds.

Reaction score
Hit and Miss booting into Windows 7

Thanks for your information. It is a desktop and I did buy it at Best Buy. They did test it before I brought it home and they also installed some software for me. I really just hate the idea of exchanging it again and was hoping there was some kind of fix for it. I may just decide to live with it.

Core

all ball, no chain
Reaction score
Honestly, that's not normal Windows 7 behavior. And I also don't think it's the hardware... If I had to take a guess, it's more likely to be an issue with the bloatware they load up on those machines.

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
HP has been having some issues with their desktops lately. I truly empathize with you and the hassle you're having to go through.

I may just decide to live with it.
That's what they're hoping you'll do! Stand up for your rights and don't let them pull one over on you.

Core may be right about the bloatware, I also think that you may have bad RAM or a motherboard. This may be due to a bad batch out of the factory in China too. Whatever it is, it's not right and you should have a proper functioning system. You paid your hard earned money for this system and you should expect a proper functioning computer in return.

Remember, the squeakiest wheel gets the most grease! Don't let Best Buy install anything on it as it will probably screw it up more. Call the store manager or person in charge and have them make this right for you.

Since it's a desktop, you'll be much better off with a Lenovo or an Acer brand in my opinion.

Ask a Question