SOLVED Help with "switch USB" popup

Reaction score
This morning when I booted me PC up, had something pop up all it said up top was "Switch USB" (attached screenshot).

The USB tit is mentioning is me wireless card. When unplug the card the error won't pop up and when it's plugged into another port the error is gone. I am away from my router so the only port that I plug it into that it actually gets a wireless signal.

Every so often (maybe every 5-30 seconds) my primary screen is ceases to primary and anything i'm doing (typing, scrolling, etc...) won't until I click on the screen again to make it the primary one.

I can't game at all (full screen games will minimize almost immediately) and I can barely type (this little text has taken me probably 30-45 minutes to type out).

Any help you guys can give me this will be absolutely appreciated. Thank you in advance.
Screenshot 2014-09-01 12.38.15.png

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Make/model of computer? Have you scanned for viruses? Is this a new computer or an old computer but a new problem?

Are you using a USB Hub? If using a hub, is it powered? Plug everything directly into the computer, no hubs. If this is a desktop use the USB slots in the back.

Try a different keyboard.

My best guess is you have a stuck or weak key, such as one of the ALT keys. Unfortunately, if this is a laptop it can be a challenge to replace.

Reaction score
This is a fairly new computer I built back in October. I'm not using a hub but will give the new keyboard a shot.

I would prefer to use the rear slots with how far away from the router I am my wireless card has to be in the front.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
So 10 months or so. But this issue is brand new?

Hopefully it as simple as the keyboard but if not then you might look at recent software installs/updates. Maybe even use a System Restore to before the issue started showing up.

Reaction score
this issue cropped up probably 2-3 months ago, I tried putting my wireless in a back port and it went away when i got fed up with the signal and moved it to the front it seemed to stay away until this weekend

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
What is the make/model motherboard? And is it a USB 2 or 3 slot?

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
There were updates to three drivers this year. See MSI. The only one that is in any way likely to be related to USB is the System & Chipset Drivers June 6, 2014 ver 8.947.0.0 so definitely install that. The one is LAN but that would be for your wired connection which you aren't using, and the third is audio; still it's usually best to have the latest drivers installed so I would suggest all three.

Since you built the computer I would suggest you open it up and just make sure the USB connections from the MOBO to the case are secure and nothing has been pinched and might be shorting out.

Reaction score
I updated the drivers and was informed that I had an unknown device plugged into my PC. It looks like it was my 360 controller. Unplugged it and it seems to be working, thank you so much for the help here.

Ask a Question