having problems initialising internal hard drive

Reaction score
Hello Ya'll:

I am having a hard time initializing my Western Digital Hard Drive using the Windows Disk Management so I was looking to use the command prompt to get the OS to recognize the hard drive I had three Os's on one TB drive but the Windows 10 done a update and put an error in the drive and the PC wont recognize the hard drive.

The Disk management does read it but only as unallocated drive. The win 10 updates put the error in the drives, Being that my wife and I have the same laptop's dell Inspiron 1525's It done this to two Pc's one with a 500gig and mine which is a 1Tb and they are both Western Digital Blue 5400's I am looking for the correct method to initialise these drive's the error says, cyclic redundancy check every time you use the windows disk management. Expert advice would be a great appreciated effort on your end.

Thank's Manbreed AW

Reaction score
Have you tried DISKPART?

This is a command line tool. Help page .. http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc766465(v=ws.10).aspx

If you have more than one drive in the computer you need to be careful not to initialize the wrong drive.

In my system I have a SSD drive and a spinner. Once you start DISKPART you can use the 'list disk' command to view a list of all drive. Once you have identified the correct drive you can initialize it thus..

LIST DISK
SELECT DISK 1
CLEAN

Eg. The disk you want to initialize is Disk 1. Windows calls the first physical drive "drive 0".
CLEAN will wipe all partition and volume information from the drive.

If you want to create your primary partition ready for OS installation..

CREATE PARTITION PRIMARY [SIZE=NNNN]
SELECT PARTITION 1
FORMAT QUICK FS=NTFS
ACTIVE
EXIT

Omitting the SIZE=nnn parameter will result in whole disk being used for a single partition

hth
Tanya

Ask a Question