GTA IV Fatal Error

Reaction score
Why do I keep getting a Fatal Error window when I try to run GTA IV. I have installed correctly and activated it too but it just won't work for crap. I was told to download Windows XP Mode to try and get it to work but i tried it and it still won't work. I'm up for any suggestions and My OS is genuine and everything. If someone could help me then I will greatly appreciate it. The Error Code is like W560 I think. I will find out tonight.

Last edited:

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
WS20 or WS30 Perhaps? Read HERE

I also recommend creating a folder for games, like C:\Games\, rather than installing them in \Program files\ or \Program Files (x86)\. The reason for this is simple, W7 treats the Program files folders as system protected folders; this can lead to issues if the game tries to write anything to it's installed directory. If you create a \Games\ folder it would not be subject to those issues. Generally this is only important for games older than the Vista OS but it doesn't hurt any game; on install simply choose to install to a folder other than the default. It might be worth uninstalling and then reinstalling to \Games\ to see if this in any way helps your situation.

Of course, as with any game, always make sure you have the latest patches installed, too.

Last edited:

Digerati

Post Quinquagenarian
Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Did it ever work right? If me, I would test my RAM. You can test RAM using one of the following programs. Both require you to create and boot to a bootable floppy disk or CD to run the diagnostics. Allow the diagnostics to run for several passes or even overnight. You should have no reported errors.

Windows Memory Diagnostic - see the easy to follow instructions under Quick Start Information,
or
MemTest86+ (for more advanced users) - an excellent how-to guide is available here,
or
Windows 7 users can use the built in Windows Memory Diagnostics Tool.​

Note that software based RAM diagnostic tools are good, but not conclusive. So you might try running with just a single RAM module to see if it fails. Repeat process with remaining modules, hopefully identifying the bad stick through a process of elimination.

Reaction score
WS20 or WS30 Perhaps? Read HERE

I also recommend creating a folder for games, like C:\Games\, rather than installing them in \Program files\ or \Program Files (x86)\. The reason for this is simple, W7 treats the Program files folders as system protected folders; this can lead to issues if the game tries to write anything to it's installed directory. If you create a \Games\ folder it would not be subject to those issues. Generally this is only important for games older than the Vista OS but it doesn't hurt any game; on install simply choose to install to a folder other than the default. It might be worth uninstalling and then reinstalling to \Games\ to see if this in any way helps your situation.

Of course, as with any game, always make sure you have the latest patches installed, too.

thanks for your help and i will try that. so just make my own games file and put it there?
just to be sure

Reaction score
Did it ever work right? If me, I would test my RAM. You can test RAM using one of the following programs. Both require you to create and boot to a bootable floppy disk or CD to run the diagnostics. Allow the diagnostics to run for several passes or even overnight. You should have no reported errors.
Windows Memory Diagnostic - see the easy to follow instructions under Quick Start Information,
or
MemTest86+ (for more advanced users) - an excellent how-to guide is available here,
or
Windows 7 users can use the built in Windows Memory Diagnostics Tool.
Note that software based RAM diagnostic tools are good, but not conclusive. So you might try running with just a single RAM module to see if it fails. Repeat process with remaining modules, hopefully identifying the bad stick through a process of elimination.

i have enough RAM to do it it askes for 1.5 gigs of RAM and i got 2 gigs of it and it all sorks as it should

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
so just make my own games file and put it there?
just to be sure
Like I said, it is worth trying. It only helps for older games. If it is a newer game then it will likely make zero difference (it won't help but it can't make things any worse either).

Digerati

Post Quinquagenarian
Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
i got 2 gigs of it and it all sorks as it should
How do you know it all works as it should? Did you test it?

Ask a Question