Google Earth Freezes on Laptop

Reaction score
Because I am on bed rest now, I have to use my laptop. I have re-installed GE twice now. Still have the same dilema. I try launching GE normally, and it freezes, and I try launching it in Direct X mode and it freezes.

Here is my CPU-Z for the Laptop http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=1978260

I would tell you guys what errors it is producing, but as of a week ago, my event viewer just says "mmc could not create the snap-in", and I am not mentally retarded enough to reinstall W7.

I have more than enough RAM and HD space, so what could cause GE to freeze?

Reaction score
Are there any programs running in the background that are maybe causing it to crash? Have you taken a look at the Windows error logs? Post a screenshot when GE freezes.

Off topic, but what is in your profile picture? :confused:

zigzag3143

Wanikiya
Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Because I am on bed rest now, I have to use my laptop. I have re-installed GE twice now. Still have the same dilema. I try launching GE normally, and it freezes, and I try launching it in Direct X mode and it freezes.

Here is my CPU-Z for the Laptop http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=1978260

I would tell you guys what errors it is producing, but as of a week ago, my event viewer just says "mmc could not create the snap-in", and I am not mentally retarded enough to reinstall W7.

I have more than enough RAM and HD space, so what could cause GE to freeze?

Mmc is a part of the OS, without it GE cant work. Have you tried a repair install? that doesnt require you re-install apps and will repair the damaged portions.

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/3413-repair-install.html

Reaction score

Ace

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
mmc.exe is your Microsoft management console. Why would you want to uninstall that? It's a system created file used to make sure that your system functions properly. The main problem you're probably facing is with DirectX, but I don't use Google Earth, there's an online one that did the job for me most of the time I needed to check into someplace.

Reaction score
mmc.exe is your Microsoft management console. Why would you want to uninstall that? It's a system created file used to make sure that your system functions properly. The main problem you're probably facing is with DirectX, but I don't use Google Earth, there's an online one that did the job for me most of the time I needed to check into someplace.
Who told you that I uninstalled it? I don't remember saying that.
I remember saying "I would tell you guys what errors it is producing, but as of a week ago, my event viewer just says "mmc could not create the snap-in""

Ace

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
I understand, but you did say something or ask about whether or not it uninstalls itself in reference to mmc.exe, so I was just making sure that you know it's a part of your required system files.

Reaction score
I did a repair of my W7 using my windows disk. The mmc.exe was not fixed. Google Earth still freezes. And I still cannot access the event viewer.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I did a repair of my W7 using my windows disk. The mmc.exe was not fixed. Google Earth still freezes. And I still cannot access the event viewer.
Tried it once again, put in the W7HP disc in, did the system repair. Same issues. The mmc.exe does not repair it self. So this means this install of W7 is corrupt?

Ask a Question