Generic Non PNP Monitor - LG monitor NOT recognised

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Important things to note: my monitor worked fine until a few days ago. I dont have a virus. My monitor didnt come with a disc. I have a desktop, not a laptop.

I'm so confused.

Reaction score
Similar problem here.

I have 2 x 22" full HD monitors and a 47" full HD LG TV which has been running fine on a GTS 250 and a 7950GX2. The TV and monitors were all detected automatically and named in Nvidia CP, and I haven't had a problem for months. The TV is connected via VGA (which is more than capable of full HD) and it's also connected to another PC through the HDMI port which also works fine.

I grabbed another GTS 250 a couple of weeks ago to replace the 7950GX2 so that I can utilise SLI and it installed without a hitch, and all was working fine until today when I find that the LG TV is now picked up as a non plug and play generic monitor and the max resolution it will allow is 1600 x 1200. I've tried everything to get it to be recognised as an LG TV again, with no luck, so I've ended up setting it as a generic PnP monitor which allows me to use 1920 x 1080 res. It works, so I'm not fussed about the TV having a "proper" name in device manager.

It's strange why this should suddenly happen, and I'm obviously not the only one who's had the problem. It's more than likely a driver problem, but my system hasn't changed in any way over the last few days so it's got me stumped. I'd do a re-install, but why go to that trouble when the other driver works?

I'll post up a solution if I ever come across one ;)

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hi!
I experienced the same problem with you all this morning.
Before doing all the steps that the guys recommend, I would suggest you checked your cables, pluged them all the way in their slots.
I found out that that was my problem; the monitor now displays again at its highest resolution 1280x1024 (this morning had dropped down to 1024x768).
:)

Reaction score
First of all, apology for my english, I'm not english native.

I'm experiencing a problem similar to the above mentioned, but with HDMI:

I have had a notebook (Windows 7, Geforce 9600M GT, screen resolution 1280x800) with HDMI and access to 2 LG tvs, a 32" one and a 22" one, and the notebook worked fine in both TVs, connecting via HDMI, with the same cable.

I recently changed my notebook (still windows 7, GeForce GT 540M, last driver installed), and tryed to use HDMI in both TVs. The 32" one works fine, still the same cable. The 22" one was having image issues due to bad resolution. I tryed to change the resolution and now I the notebook doesn't recognize the TV (TV says no signal).

I kept on trying to connect to the TV, and somehow the notebook recognized the TV once, but I still couldn't set its resolution, so I got black screen on TV, but without the "no signal" sign.

It's a really wierd bug, and I believe windows saved the wrong resolution I may have tried and is trying to force it into the TV, and since I can't set the resolution without the TV being recognized, I don't really know how to reset this saved data. Maybe it's stored in windows' registry?

EDIT: Forget to say that the previous notebook, with GeForce 9600M GT, was able to recognize the TV as LG TV, and the new one is recognizing as Generic non-PnP monitor.

If I figure a solution for this, I'll post the step by step for it.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I asked LG and they told me that there aren't any official drivers for the monitor. For Geforce yes I installed the latest driver and in windows update as well
Monitors do not have drivers. All monitors have are info files (INF). They simply identify the monitor to the operating system so it displays the name instead of "Generic". They are not drivers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Question