Generic Non PNP Monitor - LG monitor NOT recognised

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
I have very recently bought the TV LG 32LD350 and I tried to connect it with my laptop through VGA since there is no HDMI or DVI port in my computer. My system is the following:
Windows 7
Geforce 7300 Go

The problem is that LG is not recognised as LG but as "Generic non pnp monitor" from windows. As a result, the best resolution I can get is 1600x1200 instead of the 1920x1080 of this LG model. The picture is very bad since the resolution is low and the image is terribly stretched. I updated the graphic card's drivers and I did all the windows updates also. Still nothing at all. In "screen resolution" and in control panel, I don't see the name of the monitor. I just see generic non pnp monitor. This is a serious problem since I see there are a lot of people asking in forums. Could someone help me out please?
Thank you in advance.

Elmer BeFuddled

Resident eejit
Reaction score
Have you got the driver(s) on disc? If so, try this:

Load your disc and select browse folders. Locate the driver folder and copy/paste to the desktop.
Open the Device Manager.
Choose Update Driver Software.
Browse My Computer.
Browse.
Now navigate to the extracted folder on the desktop and double click on the .inf. file.
The LG driver should now be installed.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I asked LG and they told me that there aren't any official drivers for the monitor. For Geforce yes I installed the latest driver and in windows update as well

Reaction score
LG 32LD350 Review – 32-inch LCD HDTV
The TV has been provided with 720p resolution that is pretty good for the size. Whether you watch movies or TV shows or any other program, the provided resolution will ensure good picture quality. The absence of 1080p will not cause much of a difference due to the smaller size of set.
I'm not sure what this means but it appears that this monitor is not capable of 1080p (at least not natively).

Have you tried a lower resolution at a wide screen format to see how that looks?

Reaction score
First of all thank you for your answers and time.
The problem is that the TV is not recognized by windows/graphics card. Windows treats the monitor as a generic one. If it was recognized it would mention its name in control panel. It says "generic non pnp monitor" instead. Even if what you say is true, it would not be a problem for me to choose a lower resolution like 720p. The thing is that there are only few resolutions available; I mention some of them 1600x1200, 1280x1024, which are not for wide screen and the picture is unacceptable because it is stretched and anyway these are very wrong resolutions for this specific screen.
If you google it you'll find countless users with this problem but I couldn't find something to solve my problem based on my system. This is an important problem which has not found an acceptable solution as it seems.

Reaction score
Install the video driver only from here:

NVIDIA

(Never let Windows Update touch your drivers or alter them.)

Generic PnP monitor is not a problem at all.

Reaction score
I have already installed the driver from there, I selected exactly my system and what I got is this while the problem persists

179.48 BETA
Release Date:

I see that this driver is a beta version. I don't know if this is a problem. Should I maybe try an older, stable driver? Where could I find it?
It's a Generic NON pnp monitor. Do you really think that it is not a problem? Then why does it show resolutions that are not proper at all for my monitor (stretched image)? Why when I select some of them shows me a black screen? I think because it doesn't know the specifications of this specific monitor and what resolutions is capable of showing. In another case with a different computer and different monitor, I see that the monitor was immediately recognised as "Compaq" for example, no "generic non pnp". No drivers, no configuration, immediately and automatically windows found exactly the right resolution. Not in my case.
And something else. Finally, I don't know how (probably I hadn't seen it (??)) I found a resolution which doesn't stretch the picture: 1280x720. It's not 1920x1080 (LG says that this is the resolution of the TV in the official website) but at least it doesn't strect the picture. But, still, the picture does not seem clear; I compare it with my notebook's screen and it seems a bit blurry, not clear and generally I'm not satisfied. I suppose that the TV is good enough to show a clear picture so this has to be the problem of recognition of the right monitor.

Reaction score
If the manufacturer doesn't offer a driver for the tv, then obviously and of course, Generic PnP is well.

You're probably connecting throught the vga port of your laptop and that's the reason. Not the video card driver not lack of a "name" driver for the monitor itself.

You need a digital connection from a proper card (DVI or HDMI) to get high resolutions in the proper aspect ratio on the tv.

Reaction score
I do connect it through VGA but in the other case I mentioned before it was also VGA and the monitor was recognised so I don't think that this is the problem.
I see many people in forums which have this kind of resolution problems even though they have used DVI or HDMI connection so I'm not sure if this is the problem...

Reaction score
I'm not making these things up. You need a digital connection for high resolution. I am sure. VGA only has so much bandwidth and it can't handle what you're trying to do.
And then there is the issue of copy protection, so any Blu-Ray or otherwise HDCP protected content, can not play at the resolution either.

Basically I'm telling you that your laptop can not support the high resolutions no matter anything at all.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Great then. I'll get an adaptor or a brand new computer.
Thank you for your answer.

Reaction score
You're welcome, but even with a VGA-DVI adapter, it isn't going to be well. It would still be the same video card supplying the signal, and HDCP protected content needs a 100% digital connection to make its communications and verifications. Otherwise, content is reduced to less-than-HD on the fly.

Perhaps it may show some other resolutions than you have now, but probably not at all.

Reaction score
I'm not making these things up. You need a digital connection for high resolution. I am sure. VGA only has so much bandwidth and it can't handle what you're trying to do.
Basically I'm telling you that your laptop can not support the high resolutions no matter anything at all.
TorrentG. I don't think you know what you're talking about. I've successfully run an Acer X233H monitor from my 6-year-old laptop at full 1920x1080 resolution from a VGA port. This post also mentions that VGA can go to even higher resolutions. VGA also *should* be able to correctly detect your monitor and model number.

But like the original poster has mentioned, I've also experienced issues as of very recently with the monitor now showing as "Generic Non-PNP Monitor" and many resolutions not displaying correctly. I know flaky cables can sometimes be the culprit, or it may be the VGA port itself experiencing a loose connection. I have yet to find the solution.

Simon.

Reaction score
bbb231, have you tried manually forcing a resolution through control panel?

Control Panel > Appearance & Personalization > Display > Screen Resolution > Advanced Settings > Monitor tab >

* Uncheck "Hide modes that this monitor cannot display"
* Adapter tab > List all modes > Double click a resolution from the list

Simon.

Reaction score
Thank you Simon! That is what I was wondering and now I know: VGA CAN show these resolutions! Actually now I can't test it because I'm not home. I remember though that I couldn't even use the resolutions that were already available. For example I had the option to run 1280x800 and it showed me a black screen while the monitor was saying invalid format. Nevertheless I'll try your your solution when I get back home. I'm a bit afraid of damaging the TV to be honest but I'll try!
I posted that in NVidia forum I didn't get a decent answer either. It's like noone knows this problem. I'm wondering: who is supposed to solve this then? Coca cola company???
Thank you for your answer Simon

Reaction score
Last edited:
Reaction score
But I have set it in 1600x1200!!! It's stretched of course but it works. So what would you say on this?
1366x768 is not available in the options and since it is the right resolution for my monitor, it should be chosen automatically but it's not.

Reaction score
Right, you said it..."stretched"....it doesn't mean the monitor is actually displaying 1600 x 1200 truly.

That monitor needs and wants to be set at 1280 x 720.

Reaction score
Yes some monitors (and TV's in particular) can display higher resolutions than they can physically show by squashing the image and skipping pixels, so it will look slightly distorted.

I spent several hours today trying to fix my monitor issues. Not sure if it's related to your issue or not, but this is what I found (it's an Acer X233H that supports 1920x1080)....

• Monitor works fine attached to another computer at 1920x1080 over VGA
  • Computer works fine attached to another monitor showing 1920x1080 over VGA
  • Computer and monitor WILL NOT WORK when attached to each other. Screen shows as black, and certain other resolutions show an "invalid signal" message on the screen.
  • Trying different cables does not help.
  • Power cycling and plugging/unplugging monitor cables does not help.
  • It's NOT driver-related as I rolled Windows 7 back to an image from several months ago (when monitor worked) and issue still exists. Issue also continues when running latest Ubuntu live disc.

So the only thing I can guess is that either the monitor or laptop electronics are flaking out somewhere along the line, only when paired together (for some reason).

Not sure if that helps you, but hopefully helps somebody.

Simon.

Reaction score
bbb, I am having a similar problem. I have a different model monitor (LGW2361V) ... its a 22inch 16x9 monitor.

It appears that several other people on several other forums are having a similar problem.

Basically, based on the size and shape of the monitor, its giving me options that are all an incorrect ratio (1600x1200 = 4:3), when what it should be giving me is 1920x1080, which is 16:9.

torrent... 1280x720 would also work, but its not giving me that option. Also, you are not a good listener.

Simon: on my computer, when I tried to do what you said 2 posts ago (Uncheck "Hide modes that this monitor cannot display") I found it was already unchecked.

My problem is that up until a few days ago, everything was fine. I was viewing my screen in the appropriate 16:9 format. Then something happened. I dont know if it was an automatic update or what, but i woke up one morning and this was a problem.

I've tried setting a restore point to before this was an issue, and everything was fine at 1920x1080 until my computer restarted. I've even tried dell tech support 4 times. They dont understand the problem, and it just frustrated me to watch a bunch of different tech support people try the same ineffective things.

My next step is to try to back up all my data, and restore the system to factory settings. I have a feeling that this will only be a short-term fix.

The only thing I can say that is a glimmer of hope to you is that since this is such a widespread problem, perhaps windows will diagnose and publish a fix.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Question