Geforce4 MX 4000 in Windows 7 - No Aero

Reaction score
Hello all,
I've just installed Windows 7 Build 7600 but I'm in front of a big problem.
It doesn't use my Nvidia graphic card, which is a Nvidia Geforce4 MX 4000, and as a result, the display settings are very low, it doesn't use Aero stuffs etc.
It says it's using the VGA card ( which is in the computer when I bought it ) and which is 32Mb.

So I've looked for this problem and I found that it was maybe coming from a driver problem.
So how can I fix this please?

Thanks

Reaction score
The only way it could use the chipset that was in your computer to start with is if the cable is in the VGA slot with all the other plugs on the back.

Se at the top left, there are loads of sockets? Is your screen cable plugged in that bit?
If so, then you need to move it down to where all the thin rectangular panels are. If you have installed you card correctly, you should see another VGA slot. Plug it in there, and you should be fixed.

If you are already using the lower VGA slot, then I don't know, but check this out: http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us

You have quite an old graphics card, so the latest drivers is XP 64-bit. If you have Win7 32-bit, you need to chose normal XP. Follow the link and chose the correct options, and download.

Reaction score
Ok, if you definitely have the VGA cable in the correct slot, then it's definitely a drivers issue. This link is for the 64-bit driver.
http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp64_93.71_2.html

The driver you downloaded is the 32-bit version. If you are on Win7 64-bit, then this will cause problems.

Alternativley, right click on the setup exe file, and chose "Troubleshoot compatability", and choose the run it as XP SP3.

Reaction score
Well i'm In windows seven 32 bits, should I take the 64 bit driver even that?

Reaction score
Sorry for the double post,

I installed the 32bit version and it's working well, i can get the 1280*1024 resolution now, but I have no Aero effects, the windows appear normally etc.. :/
So what's wrong?

Reaction score
No, if you have Win7 32-bit you need the standard XP driver which will be in 32-bit (the one you posted). As I said earlier, simply right click the setup file for the driver, and "Troubleshoot Compatibility". Choose XP SP3, and it (touch wood) should work.

BTW, what chipset do you have?

Reaction score
Now it's my turn to double post :lol:

Try re-installing the driver in compatability mode. If this doesn't work, it may just be because you GPU is too old and cannot handle Aero.

Reaction score
The NVIDIA GeForce 4 series is not officially supported on Windows 7 by Microsoft or NVIDIA due to its age.

Your best bet is to:
1. Download the NVIDIA driver version 190.62 for Windows Vista and Windows 7 32-bit from this location: http://laptopvideo2go.com/drivers/win7x32/190.62/disclaimer
2. Extract the driver to a temporary folder.
3. Download the modified INF file from the same page you downloaded the driver. Save the INF file to the same temporary folder you extracted the drivers to.
4. Answer "yes" when prompted to replace the file.
5. Run setup.exe from the temporary folder.

This should get your video card working on Windows 7, but realize that you will be unable to run Aero. Your video adapter is too old to do so.

Reaction score
Hello Thrax, I've tried your thing but it makes me coming back to the VGA Driver so I went back to Scythus solution which stays the best for me, the only problem is I can't get Aero effects, but I guess it won't get fixed as long as I don't buy a new graphics card..
So I think the problem is fixed, i'll try to buy a new card.

Thank you all

Reaction score
I'm sorry for the double post but I've got another problem.

Each time I try to open a video, 7 freezes and a blue screen appears... what's that problem?

Reaction score
That's my chipset :)

http://hostimages.eu/images/capturmvm.png
Edit : Try to reinstall in comptability mode? What do you mean, i've already done what you said about running as admin and setting the comptability to windows xp SP3
I was just pointing out that your graphics card may not work in Aero. If you really want to use Aero, you will need a new graphics card.

:)lol: whilst I was posting you put two others in, this is crazy ;) )

I don't know about the blue screen, does it cover the whole screen or just the video player or the whole screen?

If you were going to get a new GPU, then here's a good choice;
http://www.dabs.com/products/pny-geforce-8400gs-576mhz-512mb-pci-vga-dvi-i-5K9L.html?refs=41600000
Presumably you aren't going to be doing much heavy duty gaming, so this will cope with Aero and HD movies fine, and it will almost certainly be compatible with Win7.
I am a bit of a gamer though, so you might be able to get away with something less powerful. What would your budget be?

PS: Sorry, I don't know any French computer shops!

Last edited:
Reaction score
Ya, this seems to be quite enough for me knowing that I'm not a player ( I was ).
Thank you ;)

Reaction score
wow i got this card too ! this was installed it my very 1st pc and i was amazed how this simple weak card ran some games at the beggining

you best bet is to repalce the whole pc , geforce 4 is the stone age card

Reaction score
when you have downloaded the xp driver make sure you have the right version 32bit or 64bit, go to the folder that has been extracted by the installation file, right click setup and select properties, there change the compatibilty to run with xp sp3. and now it should install with out a problem

Ask a Question