fonts not displaying

Reaction score
Hi

I just installed Windows 7 and am very happy with it.

But: there is something wrong with certain fonts.

I did install Arail Narrow. It displays in font-drop Down in Word, but does not display in ADOBE programs and in font directory of the system.

I tried to reinstall, but was told by the system, that this font is already installed.

What can I do?

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Hi suha, welcome to the forums!

Does the font appear if you do the following?

Start button > Control Panel > Appearance and Personalization > Fonts

If you click "font settings" and make sure you aren't hiding any fonts based on language settings. If that fails, you can restore the default font selection and try adding it again.

Reaction score
I tried already the follwing:

- not hiding any fonts: still not displaying Arial narrow
- resetting fonts: I went to fontsettings as described in windowshelp, but there I found only a button called "reset standardsettings for the font" (I have german version), no Option to reset all fonts. I tried the button and have now 830 fonts instead of 940, but this cannot be the original fonts I asume...

Here the screenshot of my fontsettings:

- I tried HotFix described under http://indesignsecrets.com/hotfix-corrects-arial-narrow-problem-on-windows.php . The screensho displayed there is exactly the same situation I have on my system: In Adobe-Programs I get one version of Arial Narrow within normal Arial display. But when I tried to run HotFix I got the message that the appropriate Programm for the fix was not found on my system (hotfix is from 2008 and probably not made for Windows 7).

So still was not able to fix the problem.

Last edited:

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
An internet search found...
Bent137 said "by going to the Program Files>Common Files>Adobe>Fonts folder and deleting the past Adobe Photoshop font logs. When I relaunched it next it needed to create a new log so it found the fonts just fine."

Also from the article you linked it seems Arial Narrow might show up as a subfont under Arial.

I would probably uncheck that "Hide fonts based on language settings" shown in your screenshot although I think that is more likely to affect Asian font sets (Japaneses, Chinese, etc) than western fonts like arial. Arial narrow should work fine "auf Deutsch".

Reaction score
@TrainableMan

Of course I have also tried to delete Adobe Font cache as you mentioned (sorry, forgot it on my list). It did't change the problem, either.

And you're right, Arial narrow shows up as a subfont of Arial, but only one type, Arial narrow italic. This does not really help. I have intalled 4 Arial narrows, but can't display Arrial regular or bold, only this italic type.

I also tried "Hide fonts based on language settings", no difference.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Still looking for an answer? if you are, I have it. Adobe products list all Arial fonts such as narrow and black under "Arial", rather than separately. Hope this helps:)

Reaction score
Good Morning
Setsumaru

Yes, unfortunately I am still looking for a solution.

Adobe products list all Arial fonts such as narrow and black under "Arial", rather than separately.
Yes, I found this, but it lists only one single Arial narrow, so I've got there only Arial narrow regular, no bold, no italic. This way the font cannot be used.

Ask a Question