Firefox 5.0 Final Release

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
I'm still on ver 3; I'll wait for you and Cat to figure out all the annoying new bugs.

yodap

No longer shovelling
Reaction score
It seems I just went to 4.0 a couple weeks ago. I like it but....5.0 already?:confused:

Reaction score
Thanks for the link Clifford. Downloaded it, making Restore Point, installing it. My pc made it's weekly backup about 5 hours ago. Now I'm goona see if all my addons work with 5.0.

Reaction score
Did a System Restore. The following addons aren't compatible with Firefox 5 yet: McAfee Site Advisor free/Plus, G Data Cloud Security, IE Tab Plus and KwiClick.

Reaction score
Quote from http://www.ghacks.net/2011/06/18/grab-firefox-5-final-ahead-of-schedule/

If you want to use addons that haven’t had their version numbers bumping in newer builds including Nightly, Aurora and Beta then you can disable compatility checking with the Add-on Compatibility Reporter addon.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/add-on-compatibility-reporter/

Also, IIRC, when the new automated addon testing tools were run a couple of weeks ago, 90% of addons had there compatibility bumped from 4.0 to 5.0 with no problems and most of the rest required only minor tweaking from their authors.

Reaction score
Site Advisor, still doesn't work. The other's now work. Can't remeber the about:config hack to get incompatible addons to work. I'll go through my Firefox documents folder and let you know if that gets it enabled.

Last edited:

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Hi brkkbab123.
Obviously you are a add-on enthusiast, so a likely choice for a nosey question. I am a very satisfied IE user.. I keep any add-ons down to a minimum.
Tell me, with all those add-ons you have applied, does it not negate any speed and functionality that FF might have, if any, over IE or other browsers?

Reaction score
No not from what I've noticed. The only issue that had anything to do with speed, was a issue Firefox had prior to FF4's release. It had to do with too much ram usage or not releasing the ram, when it was through using it.. Actually I have FF 4.0.1, IE 9 and Opera 11.11 on my pc. Opera appears to be the slow poke loading web pages and I've noticed quite a few that either take minute's to load or don't load everything that's supposed to be on the page. Even with it's Opera Turbo enabled, it's still slower than FF & IE. It appears Opera is in the positiom Microsoft used to be in with IE. BEHIND THE TIMES.

Last edited:

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Wow, FF4 only came out a few months ago :dontknow:... I wonder if this is a taste of things to come, with lots more major releases (a la Google Chrome, with v9>v13 in the last 5 months!).

Reaction score
I know Mozilla stopped issuing patches for all 3.x.x versions. You may want to atleast install 4.0.1 for security. If they're doing version upgrades like Google is with Chrome. FF 4.0.1 probably won't recieve any updates after a month or two after they release FF 5 to everyone.

Reaction score
I found a about:config hack for how to disable Webgl until Mozilla has a fix for the flaw in it. It works in Firefox 4.0.1 and 5.0. type about.config in the address bar. click on you acknoledge the warning. Type Webgl in the filter box. double-click on Webgl.disabled to change it to True and restart Firefox. When the have a patch for the flaw, just go back and set it to False.

Reaction score
Firefox 4 won't get security updates, just get Firefox 5
Mozilla isn't planning on releasing regular security updates for Firefox 4 (unless there's a really critical hole discovered). Instead, the non-profit organization wants its users to simply move to Firefox 5. This isn't a bad thing, but it is a bit confusing for Firefox users who are used to security-specific updates.

Firefox 4, the browser Mozilla shipped in March 2011, has reached End Of Life (EOL) status for vulnerability patches. Although the move may come as a surprise to Firefox users, Mozilla's developers have been toying with the idea to stop supporting Firefox 4 with security updates for weeks.
I'm going to go out on a limb and mention this is likely to happen with the next browser version in three months.

Last edited:
Reaction score
OK Thanks, I needed that source to post on another forum as users their like a source to items posted

draceena

That Crazy Amazon Chick!
Reaction score
I bit the bullet and updated to 5 (had to go through 3.whatever, then to FF4 then to FF5)

Amazingly enough the one toolbar I like to use was just updated the same day so all my add-ons and tool bars are working perfectly!

Reaction score
Well I am still on FF3.6 and it just did an update from 3.6.16 to 3.6.18 so they are still supporting to some degree.

Ask a Question