SOLVED Files/folders too long for Recycle Bin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Hello:

I cannot find an answer to why there is a limit to the length of a folder name or file name for it to be sent to the Recycle Bin. A second question is if it is the name or the path that counts? And, third, what is the limit?

Thank you!

Hans L

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
The length is the "folders\subfolders\filename" combination. And I believe the limit is around 256 characters.

Reaction score
TrainableMan, thank you. Would you happen to know why there is a limit?

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
It is related to Max_Path set by Microsoft

That's why it works as it does but there is still the "why did Microsoft set this limit".

I can only speculate it is related to backward compatibility. Computers think in binary (0's and 1's) and 256 is 2^8 which is a very "nice" fitting number for bits to bytes (a byte is 8 bits long). Then you tack on a drive letter such as C:\ at the front and a stop-char at the end and you hit their setting for Max_Path which is 260.

Last edited:
Reaction score
It is related to Max_Path set by Microsoft

That's why it works as it does but there is still the "why did Microsoft set this limit".

I can only speculate it is related to backward compatibility. Computers think in binary (0's and 1's) and 256 is 2^8 which is a very "nice" fitting number for bits to bytes (a byte is 8 bits long). Then you tack on a drive letter such as C:\ at the front and a stop-char at the end and you hit their setting for Max_Path which is 160.
Okidoke. I understand you meant 260, not 160. Thanks for the info!

Hans L

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Yes 260, & I corrected it above as well.

Reaction score
Long too path error!
"Long path tool" is very helpful for this problem. You can solve this problem like copy, delete, long path files by using this tool.
I used to have similar problems too, but after using "long path tool" everything was solved.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
I wouldn't pay $18 for something you can fix easily by simply using fewer subdirectories or shorter directory names

Reactions: Ian
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Question