Favorite Utilities?

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
CCleaner, Recuva, Defraggler, Revo Uninstaller, ImgBurn and Belarc Advisor.

Last edited:
Reaction score
CCleaner, Registry Clean Expert, Defraggler, FileHippo update Checker, Howies quick screen capture (might not work under 7), Belarc Adviser,Malwarebytes, Spybot search and destroy,VLC media player.

Reaction score
Uniblue Power Suite, Your Uninstaller, Objectdock Plus, Active Desktop Calendar, Crossloop

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
The electric company, the water company and the gas company! :lol:

Seriously, Raxco PerfectDisk 11, CCleaner, SIW,

Reaction score
CCleaner, Yankee Clipper, WinPatrol, Agent Ransack64, SIW, JKDeFrag64, Registry Clean Expert and Unlocker. There are more. Always willing to try free utilities, programs and any other free type products.

Reaction score
On the discussion of utilities can anyone recommend a good (preferably free) disk formatting tool (like Gparted) but unlike Gparted can be installed and run within the OS?

Mychael

Reaction score
You can format partitions within Windows. If you want to do anything more than that, you cannot be in Windows.

Reaction score
The windows format command (at least in XP) only seems to let me do it as NTFS. I want something that can allow me to do whatever format I want.
Gparted will but I have to reboot into the Gparted program.

I meant for formatting other drives attached to PC, not the main system drive.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
Windows 7 has a disc partitioner built in. You should defrag and backup before attempting this, for safety. Suppose you have a 320GB drive, as I do. I "shrank" my Windows partition to 212GB, which freed up roughly 80GB for my Linux install. There is also a 12GB recovery partition, but I don't touch that. I can restore my desktop to "like new" by booting into that and following the prompts. Like I said, you can create partitions by clicking onto one and "shrinking" it. But as far as the format goes, you can't format to ext2, ext3, and so on. You need a tool like GParted (or a similar tool) to do this with. You can do a lot with GParted, shrink and grow partitions, delete them, make new ones, a lot of possibilites.

Nibiru2012

Reaction score
On the discussion of utilities can anyone recommend a good (preferably free) disk formatting tool (like Gparted) but unlike Gparted can be installed and run within the OS?

Mychael
You can use Partition Wizard, it's free and comes in both a Windows-based application and a boot disc form.

http://www.partitionwizard.com/download.html

It gives you all the various format options that are available. NTFS, FAT, FAT32, and various Linux types

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Acronis Backup, WinRar, CPUZ, VLC Player :)

Veedaz

~
Reaction score
ConvertXtoDVD
Paragon Backup
Maxthon
AccuWeather
ATI CCC

yodap

No longer shovelling
Reaction score
7-Zip
Ccleaner
Defraggler
Easeus Partition Master
Easeus Todo Backup
Erunt
SIW
SyncBack
TeamViewer

Fire cat

Established Member
Reaction score
CCleaner, Recuva, Defraggler, 7zip.

Could you call these utilities?
-Teamviewer
-Scrybe

Fire Cat

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
CCleaner, Recuva, Defraggler, 7zip.

Could you call these utilities?
-Teamviewer
-Scrybe

Fire Cat
Those first three are excellent utilities, I use them myself a lot. 7zip, I know nothing about.

Fire cat

Established Member
Reaction score
catilley1092 said:
7zip, I know nothing about.
WHAT?! 7zip, the most well known archive manager, and you don't know anything about it?Lol

Fire Cat

Nibiru2012

Reaction score
7-Zip is open source software. Most of the source code is under the GNU LGPL license. The unRAR code is under a mixed license: GNU LGPL + unRAR restrictions. Check license information here: 7-Zip license.

You can use 7-Zip on any computer, including a computer in a commercial organization. You don't need to register or pay for 7-Zip.

The main features of 7-Zip

• High compression ratio in new 7z format with LZMA compression

• Supported formats:
    • Packing / unpacking: 7z, ZIP, GZIP, BZIP2 and TAR
    • Unpacking only: ARJ, CAB, CHM, CPIO, DEB, DMG, HFS, ISO, LZH, LZMA, MSI, NSIS, RAR, RPM, UDF, WIM, XAR and Z.
  • For ZIP and GZIP formats, 7-Zip provides a compression ratio that is 2-10 % better than the ratio provided by PKZip and WinZip
  • Strong AES-256 encryption in 7z and ZIP formats
  • Self-extracting capability for 7z format
  • Integration with Windows Shell
  • Powerful File Manager
  • Powerful command line version
  • Plugin for FAR Manager
  • Localizations for 74 languages
7-Zip works in Windows 7 / Vista / XP / 2008 / 2003 / 2000 / NT / ME / 98. There is a port of the command line version to Linux/Unix.

I still use WinRAR x64 version because it is lightning fast and I'm used to it. I have used 7-Zip to extract files and folders from driver executables. Quite handy application.

Ask a Question