SOLVED External Hard Drive suggestion's needed.

Reaction score
Could anyone on the forum suggest a good SATA 3 U.S.B. 3.0 External Hard Drive for me to purchase ? Preferably 2.0 to 3.0 TB's. It's only going to be used for Carbonite's HomePlus sytem images. I'm going to continue using my Iomega Professional 2.0 TB. U.S.B. 2.0/eSATA External Hard Drive for Windows Backup/System Images

yodap

No longer shovelling
Reaction score
A while back I stumbled across a WD 2 TB with USB 3.0 (no e-sata) for $75.00 at Target. I've seen that drive lately for about $120-130 at other outlets but I never would of paid that for it.
As has been suggested on this forum before, why not look into an interior hdd and an enclosure. You can future proof yourself that way.

Reaction score
I don't think there are any Target's in my area. I'll check though. I do know that Wal-Mart sell's old technology. The Logitech 5.1 speaker's I purchased there last month, I didn't realize are 2004 model's. Staple's sell's thing's for $50.00 dollar's more than pretty much any where else. I'll have to do a deep Newegg search.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
You can buy a USB 3.0 docking station and plug in any hard drive you want.

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
I have found it's always best to purchase a third-party external enclosure and then purchase the HDD of the brand you prefer. Less problems that way and NO proprietary software to foul things up with.

Here's a top-quality enclosure at Newegg from Sabrent Technologies: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817366031

Here's a very good Western Digital 2.5 TB drive at Newegg: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136873

Remember with these units that it's better to spend a little more for a quality setup than to search for the cheapest setup.

I have know too many user who have had issues with "brand name" proprietary external enclosures not functioning properly. In addition, you can always swap hard drives with a third-party enclosure.

Reaction score
Thanks everyone. Going to go the docking/internal 3.0TB. h.d. route in 11/12.

Ask a Question