Experience Index must be wrong...right?

Reaction score
I can only see 4-pin plugs. I have one big four pin, and a small four pin. No six pins!
PSU model: Octigen 3294CC0Tg ATX 350W

Veedaz

~
Reaction score
350W is quit low power M8, i know this means a bit more £ but i would upgrade your PSU at the same time, the recommended in the spec for the card is 500w also if you upgrade your PSU you will have power to play with if your using a few peripherals.

Veedaz

~
Reaction score
Just some info for you Sycthus, your MOBO is 24 pin power supply and going through the 4890 spec your present PSU will struggle to run it adaptors are supplied with some cards (not sure why the chap in the review had a prob with Molex adaptors, i have found they work in the past)

Your MOBO

The 4890 has two 6 pin power inputs ... because the card draws more power than can safely be drawn through one plug, all cards above the 4870 require 2 power plugs, each 6-pin can supply up to 75W of power, along with the motherboard which can supply either 75W or 150W depending on whether it is PCI-E 1.1 or 2.0. The 4890 itself only requires about 120-130W.

Reaction score
So I would need a knew PSU as well? (Grits teeth...) And how hard would that hit the bank?

Peripheral wise, I only have a USB wireless adapter and a small web cam, plus obvious mouse and keyboard.

BTW: Can I change my PSU without changing my case?

Veedaz

~
Reaction score
A new PSU may not be as expensive as you think some own make PSUs have a very good price tag (eg ... Here) it always pays to hunt around, and yes you should be able to change your PSU without changing your case, what case do you have ?

Veedaz

~
Reaction score
Hi Sycthus, you will have no probs swapping the PSU on that case :)

Veedaz

~
Reaction score
Yes go for the 800w and you will get an adaptor with the Graphics card (PSUs with two 6pin plugs are designed for SLI and Crossfire)

Reaction score
Do not buy a cheap power supply! DO NOT DO IT. I am serious: You will never regret any one purchase more than a bad power supply. It will die, it will wreck your system, and cheaper PSUs are not a good deal. Don't do it!

Scythus: Get a 500-600w unit with TWO PCI Express 6-pin connectors from BFGTech, Corsair, Tuniq, OCZ or PC Power & Cooling. One of these units will be MORE than enough power (no, really, WAY more than enough) to power a system.

Veedaz

~
Reaction score
I agree some very cheep PSUs are not worth getting, my Brother in Law has a Novatech PSU in his system running for over a year now with no problems.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Do not buy a cheap power supply! DO NOT DO IT. I am serious: You will never regret any one purchase more than a bad power supply. It will die, it will wreck your system, and cheaper PSUs are not a good deal. Don't do it!

Scythus: Get a 500-600w unit with TWO PCI Express 6-pin connectors from BFGTech, Corsair, Tuniq, OCZ or PC Power & Cooling. One of these units will be MORE than enough power (no, really, WAY more than enough) to power a system.
Quoted for truth... a cheap power supply is a headache waiting to happen. The PSU is one of the most important components you can buy for your system (honest!), so make sure you get a good one.

I'm using a PCP&C in my own system, but I know a few people with this one and it looks pretty good:

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/127861

You'll be able to keep a PSU like that when you upgrade and it's much cheaper than buying a replacement. Here's an example of what a cheap PSU can do (https://www.w7forums.com/loud-pop-power-supply-t379.html). I've not had one of my own take out other components for a long time, but if it did it would be very costly.

Veedaz

~
Reaction score
Some 8 years ago (i wont name the make) i bought a PSU, custom plug in cables, twin fan, great looking PSU and everything was great .... for 5 days then it packed up ! ... £110 ! after telephoning i received my money back, my latest buy was a Corsair TX 750W and I'm very happy with that :).

Reaction score

So what would you define as cheap? I don't think I'd be prepared to pay over £60, or is that a reasonable price?

Veedaz

~
Reaction score
Its an idea to Google around when you have decided on the make and number of the PSU you want as some good prices can be found :)

Reaction score
my only concern is, I have no idea what prices PSUs are, of how to tell if their any good! Any price guide lines from anyone?

Reaction score
my only concern is, I have no idea what prices PSUs are, of how to tell if their any good! Any price guide lines from anyone?
Find a 500w (or better) power supply from one of these brands:
PC Power & Cooling
BFGTech
OCZ
Corsair
Tuniq

I guarantee you that you will find a unit within your price range, and a product from one of these companies is guaranteed to be a quality part. Not just "oh, my system has never had a problem" good, but 100% certifiable, tested with a $5000 SunMoon load tester, judged by the quality of its electrical signals... Good.

Veedaz

~
Reaction score
Any links Thrax for the UK ? I would be interested as I'm going to build again soon.

Ask a Question