SOLVED DVD-RW gone after installing 3 new hard drives

Reaction score
Hi I have lost access to my DVD drive after installing 3 hard drives and I also have an error on start up.

The error is "Windows failed to start" A recent hardware or software change might be the cause,
If windows files have been damaged or configured incorrectly. Sthartup repair can help diagnose and fix problem. If power was interrupted during startup, choose start windows normally"

I do not know how to proceed, I cannot use the start up and repair diagnose tool on start up, so I have to boot normally even though I know this is not the correct way. I cannot access my DVD-RW drive either I am not sure what happened to it.
Right now my D drive has turned into a local drive and I don't know how to get it back to DVD-RW with my hardware
THIS IS THE DVD-RW
Lite On 12X Blu Ray ROM/DVDRW SATA OEM (SYX-807020OH )

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

AMD FD6100WMGUSBX FX-6100 Processor - Six Core, 8MB L3 Cache, 6MB L2 Cache, 3.30GHz (3.90GHz Max Turbo), Socket AM3+, 95W, Fan, Unlocked, Retail (

ASUS M5A97 R2.0 AM3+ Motherboard - ATX, Socket AM3+, AMD 970 Chipset, AMD FX, 2133MHz DDR3 (O.C.), SATA 6.0 Gb/s, RAID, 8-CH Audio, Gigabit LAN, USB 3.0, CrossFireX Ready

ADATA AD3U1333C4G9-DRH Premier Series Desktop Memory Kit - 8GB (2x 4GB), PC3-10600, DDR3-1333MHz, 240-pin DIMM, CL9, 1.5V, Non-ECC, Unbuffered (

XFX Radeon HD 7850 Core Edition FX785ACNL4 Video Card - 2GB GDDR5, PCI-Express 3.0(x16), 2x Dual-link DVI-I, 2x Mini DisplayPort, 1x HDMI, DirectX 11, CrossFireX, Dual-Slot, Fan

DATA Premier Series AD3U1333C4G9-SH 4GB Desktop Memory Module - PC3-10666, DDR3-1333MHz, 240-pin DIMM

System type: 64 bit operating

Original hard drive:
ST2000DX001

New Hard drives installed
Seagate Desktop Solid State Hybrid Drives - 2 TB, 8 GB NAND Flash, 3.5 in, SATA 600, Internal - ST2000DX001 NEW MASTER
ST250DM0001BD141 ATA SLAVE
HDS271025CLA382ATA SLAVE

I dont' know how to proceed....Thank you in advance for any help I have been working on this all morning.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Well for starters check for loose connections internally. Make sure the CDRom has power connected and has a SATA cable connected that runs to the motherboard.

Then boot up to the BIOS and see what devices it detects. Does it see the HDs? DVDRom? Then save the BIOS settings and exit.

Reaction score
This problem was solved the minute I realized i don't need four hard drives. I moved the two power cables for the SATA memory back from around the hard drive area and connected one of them to a CD ROM.

What boggles my mind is I don't know how I managed to get the CD ROM to work in the first place, because I never had SATA power to it for along time when I was only using one hard drive. I only had the sata memory connector hooked up not power to the CD/RW/ROM if that makes sense. So I don't know how it knew and how when I reconfigured for 4 hard drives it did not like it.

Ask a Question