DVD Drive Not working Properly After Installing Windows 7

Reaction score
since i have clean installed windows 7 on my laptop my dvd drive is not working properly. it starts reading the disk and stop and keep doing it several times and finally i removes the dvd. i have even cleaned the lens with lens cleaner but still it do read erroe many times.
i am using 7 ultimate 32 bit

Last edited:
Reaction score
Try this:

Type regedit in the start menu then hit enter. Navigate to

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

Look for any of these in the right side:

UpperFilters
LowerFilters
UpperFilers.bak
LowerFilters.bak

and delete any and all of them. Close regedit and reboot. Test the DVD drive and good luck.

Reaction score
Try this:

Type regedit in the start menu then hit enter. Navigate to

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

Look for any of these in the right side:

UpperFilters
LowerFilters
UpperFilers.bak
LowerFilters.bak

and delete any and all of them. Close regedit and reboot. Test the DVD drive and good luck.
thanks for the quick reply. i checked as you said and i found UpperFilters there and have deleted now i will check and if the problem comes again i will definitely inform.

Reaction score
dvd drive is not working properly...

As one of the member....mine dvd drive is also not working properly since i installed windows 7.And i followed the tips that was given there...but there isn't any of those four things that are listed there.....but also its not working..can anyone help me???

Reaction score
i m having the same problem..but there isn't any of the four.....wat should i do???

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
As one of the member....mine dvd drive is also not working properly since i installed windows 7.And i followed the tips that was given there...but there isn't any of those four things that are listed there.....but also its not working..can anyone help me???

When you say it's not working... is it showing up in the "Computer" window?

Go to the "Device Manger" and check the settings for it.

Reaction score
I have an LG dvd burner model name GH22NS40, and i'm running win 7 x64 and i also have some serious working issues in the way that when I insert a dvd into my burner, it freezes my system, most of the times even crashes it by going to a blue dump screen.
The strangest thing is that the dvd burner is making some strange nosies, squeaking noises or something like that in a constant period of time, about every 3-4 sec.
I would think that the dvd drive is broken but i lodged a complaint in the store for my previous drive with exactly the same issues, also LG but with model name GH22NS50, and they accepted it and gave me a "new one", this that also have the very same problem, so i'm thinking it might be up to OS, or the drivers, or the firmware or I don't know, I just think it would be crazy if the both drives I received were broken...
Any thoughts on the problem, some advice or suggestion?
Thanks in advance..

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
That's very unusual to have two drives of the same make and model go bad like that in a row.

You might hear a soft or slight clicking sound when the laser is searching, but definitely not squeaking noises.

Take it back to where you bought it, tell them the same thing is happening again. Let them know you would rather get another brand of drive; such as a Lite-On, Pioneer, Sony or Samsung.

I have extensive experience with all the drives I mentioned and never had any problems with them at all. Since you've had trouble with two drives, you shouldn't get any hassles about a switch to another brand. Be firm and don't let them crawfish on ya on this one!

Good Luck!

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
kimi, reproduce the error & when you get the BSOD (Blue screen Of Death) post the C:\Windows\Minidump\Minidump.dmp file here.

TorrentG is an expert at reading them and I bet he can help you out.

Reaction score
TrainableMan, i was about to crash my PC and create a Minidump file but my dvd burner is now working normally :)

This was sometimes the case with the old one too, it gets better without any rational explanation but it's like that for only about 20% of time, the remaining 80% it only squeaks and crashes my system, so i can't say that now the problem is gone.

So now i can't post a new dump report but i will, however, post the last one created from yesterday. The burner was the reason for the crash also so I don't think it will make any difference if it's a new one or the old one, and as i don't know how to open this .dmp file and post it in text format, i will attach an original file, hope it's not a problem.
I tried using windows debugger but it's showing me a message "Debugge not connected"...haven't found a solution yet...

Nibiru, if i don't find any other solution i will definitely take the drive back to the store and will try to get a different brand, this one has gave me enough trouble already, but before that, as i still have 6 months on my warranty, i think i will try to install it in my brothers PC, just to see if it might be up to motherboard.

And to add finally, i have two systems on my PC on two different HDD's, one is win XP x32, and the other is win 7 x64, both having the same problem with the drive. The only difference is maybe that the XP doesn't crashes, it just freezes and stays like that until i open my dvd drive again. Sometimes in XP i even manage to burn a dvd with all the squeaking and stopping, but it's very annoying and it takes a very long time to finish...

Again, thank you for all the replies in advance...

Attachments

Ask a Question