Dual boot Ubuntu then Window7 with recovery discs

Reaction score
Hi,

Just bought a HP G71 laptop with Windows7 already installed, no discs included. I created backup/ recovery/ restore DVD's as directed.

I want to have Linux.Ubuntu 9.10 be my primary OS and in the first partition on the drive for maximum speed . . . and W7 installed in a partition further out.

QUESTIONS:

1. Can Ubuntu be installed first . . . then W7 (recovery discs)?
2. Or must I install W7 system first?
3. Then can I migrate W7 further out and Ubuntu in pole position?
4. Can they share the same SWAP and storage partitions?

Any assistance is appreciated
Thank you,

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
Cristo, welcome to the forums! Windows 7 must be installed first. You can use a free tool called GParted to partition your disc. Do not touch your recovery partition, you may need it someday. Decide how much space you want for Windows 7 & Ubuntu and make your partitions for them. You will need a small swap space. The size of your RAM should be fine. What the GParted app (download the ISO file, put it on a CD) does is first shrink your Windows partition to the size you want. Or you can do this with your Ubuntu disc as well. You will have a total of four partitions, one for Windows, Ubuntu, swap and your recovery partition. You don't have to remove your Windows partition at all, just shrink it. Then select the other ones. But don't touch that recovery partition, whatever you do. You can do all of this with your Ubuntu disc, if you want to. That may be easier. I hope you know what you're getting into with this Ubuntu deal. If you haven't used it before, you're in for a long, hard learning process. If you have a spare computer, that would be better. But whatever you decide, good luck with your Ubuntu journey. You're sure going to need it.

Veedaz

~
Reaction score
Hi Cristo

Ubuntu is way different to Windows so when you download the ISO here > http://www.ubuntu.com/ and burn to CD you will find its bootable and you can run Ubuntu live from your DVD R/W so i would suggest run it a few times to see how you get along with it before you install. Some like Linux and some dont....see how it goes :)

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
That would be an excellent suggestion, that way, you have an idea of what you're getting into.

Ask a Question