Download Microsoft Security Essentials

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
The new Microsoft Security Essentials software is going to launch today, supporting 8 languages and being released in 19 countries (at the moment, the link still says "beta", but this will switch over in a few hours). This should provide free anti-malware cover to users and is perhaps worth considering for Windows 7.

Microsoft offered a beta version of Security Essentials ... to about 75,000 users in June, but quickly stopped it when that target was reached. Two weeks ago the company thanked beta testers for their help and said that the polished edition of Microsoft Security Essentials would ship "in the coming weeks".

The software was commended by independent testing firm AV-Test GmbH after it pitted Security Essentials against nearly 3,200 common viruses, bot Trojans and worms. Security Essentials will run on Windows XP SP2 or later, Windows Vista and Windows 7

Source : PC Advisor
Download URL:
http://www.microsoft.com/security_essentials/

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
For information. If you are already a Beta (Live) user, it will arrive via normal updates. Got mine yesterday.

View attachment 573

For new users. Remember to get into the notifciations cutomisation panel and ensure you have "Show icnd and notifications" turned on. This will make certain that you can monitor the anti virus program. It will normally be green but turns to red if it needs attention.

Last edited:

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
What do you think of it so far Dave, are you impressed with it? I wasn't able to try the Beta as it was unavailable to download for UK users.

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Very impressed, Ian. At the time of first install, I had Avast Free running, and did a subsequent install and run with AVGFree. MSE picked up a couple of trojans which had been overlooked.
It is totally unobtrusive. A 3 or 4 mb definition update comes on a daily basis and takes seconds to install. I have not noticed any significant use of extra resources.
Like defrag, the first full run (160Gb hard disk) takes a heck of a time. 1.45 hours in my case. After that you can just schedule it to "keep watch" and run a full scan when your fancy takes you.

Reaction score
So can you install it with another AV still on (in my cast Avast) without any clashes? I would like to give it a go, but I want another 3rd party AV just as a saftey net, if you understand.

Reaction score
I'm running AVG antivirus 8.5{not free edition} and this MSE at the same time either,without any problem but in the security control panel says if you run 2 or more antivirus at the same time,can slowdown a bit the sistem,but my sistem is running in normal speed like before thus,but i think,running 2 AV at the same time on the sistem is not so good{this is my opinion}.

Reaction score
I'll take the risk and download it. I'll report back with my findings! ;)

Reaction score
Are there any advantages of Security Essentials over McAfee? I get McAfee free as part of Comcast internet. I used the Microsoft live product before it was ditched by Microsoft.

Reaction score
Mainly ease of use. I got McAfee free for a year with my bank account, and although the UI was though and good for doing complex things with, it was hard ti find what you wanted sometimes. SE is very simple and quick to use, but it does have the complex features as well, and works better than McAffee.

Reaction score
Is this an Anti-Virus, or Anti-Malware (or both) program?

I am currently using the Vista 64bit version of Symantec Antivirus 10 which installed and appears to run fine, but I get a message stating that Windows 7 has changed how the software reports to the OS and I should check my vendor for an update. Unfortunately, my AV program is the student version and I am no longer able to access the University site (no longer a student) so I'd have to pop for the retail version. (Which I hear is nowhere near as good as the corporate version that you get from the University)...

Will the software actually do it's job even if it isn't reporting properly? Or would it be in my best interest to just uninstall and go with the MS Security Essentials?

Reaction score
MSE is both AV and anti malware combined. Regarding Symantec, if you are no longer able to access updates for the definitions then you may as well give it the boot. It is pointless having an AV with out of date definitons, its like using a toothbrush without toothpaste!. Without the latest definitions on board you are not protected from the latest threats.

Reaction score
MSE is both AV and anti malware combined. Regarding Symantec, if you are no longer able to access updates for the definitions then you may as well give it the boot. It is pointless having an AV with out of date definitons, its like using a toothbrush without toothpaste!. Without the latest definitions on board you are not protected from the latest threats.
I still have access to definitions, just not the newest version of the software. The corporate version doesn't expire like the retail version does, I just don't have access to download the latest version which might be fully Windows 7 compatible.

That being said, I'd rather have a software package that fully integrates with the OS, so I may just give essentials a go and see how it runs. :)

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
I've downloaded & installed MSE on both of my laptops to tryout, but they both are running XP Pro. I'll see how it goes on them before I install on this PC. I'm running Avast on it, as well as the Win 2K Pro portions on the laptops. I've trusted Avast for a while now, but here lately I got a couple of false positives. A trojan horse in the page sys. file. You can't put that file in the chest or delete it. So I scanned it with Windows Live Safety Scanner and all that was reported was some Active X files to delete. But I'm giving MSE a trial, and am waiting for other positive publicity. Some of Microsoft's programs are spyware, just read the EULA and in the fine print, you'll see it.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
MSE is a first class anti virus program, and for the price: A legal version of Windows 7, Vista or XP that will validate. That's not asking much. It's lightweight, scans fast and through and has not yet came up with a false positive. You can and should schedule scans, I do mine when I know that I'm most likely going to be online, that's how I know that it doesn't slow you down. If you have been shelling out big bucks for virus protection, try this one out. Most likely, you'll stay with it.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I added MSE to my dad's computer over the weekend, and it does seem very light on resources on a low/mid-spec machine from what I could tell.

Thanks for the update on AV-Comparatives, it looks like this application is one to watch :)

draceena

That Crazy Amazon Chick!
Reaction score
I added MSE to my dad's computer over the weekend, and it does seem very light on resources on a low/mid-spec machine from what I could tell.

Thanks for the update on AV-Comparatives, it looks like this application is one to watch :)
I agree! If I was building a computer for a not-too-computer-savy person, this would be my top choice as it installs easily and is a snap to set up and run. It's basically a set and forget program. I can't tell how many times a person new to computers says, "Well, I had this Anti Virus thingie but I turned it off because it was too confusing!". I highly doubt you'd hear that said after you took out the limited version that was installed with the purchase and put this in instead

Ask a Question