downgrade from 64bit to 32bit

Reaction score
I have just received a new Dell with Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit installed and have the reinstallation disk. 64bit isn't compatible with my plotter or some of the software I use. Does anyone know if I need to but a 32bit version and do a full installation from scratch or is there a way of downgrading?

Thanks

Reaction score
Hi.

Clean install is necessary.

64-bit Windows does run 32-bit software though. If that plotter is a hardware device, then yes, you would need a 64-bit driver to run it under x64 Windows.

Reaction score
Thanks, in that cas can I upgrade to Proffesional but at that time change to 32bit?

Reaction score
Yes, if you upgrade you can choose which version you want as long as you are paying for the upgrade. What is this plotter though? I really don't recommend downgrading to 32 bit, unless it is necessary for your system to run properly. But if 64 bit was installed at the time you bought your computer, I don't see there being any conflict with the base system. In very rare cases does a manufacture install a OS that doesn't run properly or effectively on the machine in use.

If this plotter is a software you are having troubles with, try looking on the net for a patch or fix for it to run correctly on Windows 7 64 bit. I myself haven't ran into any issues with software, but games yes.

If it is hardware, do the same. Look for the correct drivers online.

Downgrading should really only be done if there is absolutely no other option. Pc's that are capable of running 64 bit OS's, tend to run better, faster, and smoother when using it. Using 32 bit on a 64 bit system is fine, but it doesn't allow for the hardware to be used to it's fullest. Thus, your computer is not running to it's fullest capabilities and hardware is really just being wasted. Kind of like buying a PS3, just to play PS2 games only on it, doesn't make any since.

Reaction score
Guys a Plotter is a special hardware similar to a printer.

The plotters that I am familiar to are used to cut designs in felt that can be used for sticking to glass. After the designs have been peeled from the glass the remaining felt will protect the glass from sandblasting. Once finished sandblasting, The remaining felt is removed leaving a sandblasted design in the glass. One other instance was creating stick-on designs for boats or cars.

Plotters are much more expensive than printers. If there is not going to be support from the manufacturer for 64-Bit then there may only be a few options to consider.
  1. Use XP mode with Professional or Ultimate (Home Premium will not run XP Mode)
  2. Downgrade to 32-Bit (Downgrading may still have troubles depending on how old the hardware is.)
  3. Dual booting to an older OS that does support the plotter.

Reaction score
You can't upgrade from x86 to x64 or vice-versa, just to be clear. Clean install needed.

Reaction score
Thanks Guys,

the plotter is quite old, but I'm not going to spend £5k on a new one just yet, it does work with Vista 32 bit. The other issue was with AutoCAD I only have a 32bit version AutoCAD have locked installation of 32bit software on a 64bit OS.

It seems the only option is to downgrade to 32bit until such a point that I can afford a new plotter and new AutoCAD.

Reaction score
Maybe look into a older pc that is cheap, just to use for your Plotter. Thats what I would do, if the funds are not a issue.

Ask a Question