Do you overclock?

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I've got a quad core Q6600 processor at the moment, and it's default clock is 2.4Ghz. At the moment it's running quite happily at 3.0Ghz using air cooling only (Zalman CNPS9500 cooler).

Was thinking about pushing it a little more, but my temps are around 55C under load so I don't want to try it long term.

There have been some great CPUs this past few years in terms of overclockability (is that a word!?), so I thought it would be interesting to see who else has.

Reaction score
I have an SL9S9 Core 2 Duo E6420 from July of 2006. Its default clockspeed is 2.4GHz, but I currently have it running at 3500MHz (6*500). The chip sits in a DFI LanParty DK P35-T2R/S and 4GB of PC2-8000 from G.Skill.

I've considered a Yorkfield quad on and off, but I thought it would just be best to wait for the Gulftown Core i7s at the end of this year. Mmmm, 32nm.

Attachments

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Did you get it to that just using air cooling? That's a nice overclock :D

Reaction score
Yeah, just air. I don't believe in water cooling. :p

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Yeah, just air. I don't believe in water cooling. :p
Me neither - mainly because of leaks! ;)

Going to try and push mine to 3.2GHz tonight to see if the temps change much.

BetaMan

Official G33k
Reaction score
I can has tutorial? How do I...
1. Check my current CPU temp
2. Overclock it
Too lazy to type specs so check under my avatar.

Reaction score
BetaMan, there are several utilities that can check your CPU's temps. CoreTemp is one of them and it's quite popular. Overclocking is done in your motherboard's BIOS. I'd go into it more, but I doubt your motherboard includes the options needed to overclock. PCChips isn't known for it. You might be able to adjust your Front Side Bus (FSB) some for a minimal overclocking if you're lucky.

Also, hi everyone. I came here by Thrax's recommendation. My main rig is 4GHz (480 x 8.5) Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 on a DFI Lanparty LT X48-T3RS motherboard with 2GB OCZ ReaperX DDR3-1333 in an Antec Nine Hundred case, cooled by a Xigmatek HDT-1283.

Happy to be here.

Reactions: Ian

BetaMan

Official G33k
Reaction score
I totally disobeyed what buddyj said and overclocked from 2.6GhZ to 2.77GhZ. Not much, but I'm learning.

PS: What's a safe temperature to be running at?
coretemp.PNG
cpuz.PNG

Last edited:
Reaction score
overclocking has always been a sensitive subject with me. Unless your running AMD processors or some "aftermarket" manufactured equipment, its really the only hardware that can take excessive stress.

Reaction score
overclocking has always been a sensitive subject with me. Unless your running AMD processors or some "aftermarket" manufactured equipment, its really the only hardware that can take excessive stress.
That's not entirely true. You don't have to have "aftermarket" equipment, but it helps if you do. And the processor brand doesn't matter either. As long as there are options on the board or in the BIOS, and as long as you can keep temperatures and voltages at the right levels, there's no reason not to get the most performance you can out of your system.

The only people who shouldn't be overclocking are people who buy discount pre-assembled systems from big box stores. But once you begin to care about system performance, and can assemble your own rig, there's no reason not to. It's the easiest way to stretch your budget.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I've got an Intel Q6600 that runs at 3.0GHz no problem (from 2.4GHz)... I've even got it running at 3.4GHz at the moment but it's a little too hot, so I'll probably drop down a little.

For the price/performance ratio, an overclocked Q6600 was a bargain CPU when I bought it :)

Reaction score
Unless your running AMD processors or some "aftermarket" manufactured equipment, its really the only hardware that can take excessive stress.
Yes, perhaps you need a better cooling solution. But to say AMD are the only ones that overclock well is simply not true. Some of the best overclockers at the moment, are Intel processors.

FWIW, many motherboards come with software overclocking now.

Reaction score
I totally overclock - hense the website: ClubOverclocker.com
I DO believe in water cooling - becuase I spend time and put great care into building a quality system and product. No leaks! I've been water cooling for YEARS and have even installed coolers into friends machines who want a quieter and cooler PC.

Overclocking is a HUGE hobby and with the current spread of motherboards available on the market today - its easier than ever. It's not just a dark art followed by a secret society anymore. Aside from the "PC IN A BOX" Vendors like Dell, most of the aftermarket motherboards you can buy these days allow overclocking. And with a little time in Google and a few select forums, a little bit of reading and the right Overclocking Coach can have you reaping higher clock speeds, better performance, and best of all - you pay next to NOTHING. Ok, so you may have to spend a few extra dollars on a new CPU cooler - becuase stock coolers are not efficient enough to bleed off the heat from overclocking.
Extra heat, becuase you are going faster! Once you read, you'll understand, Overclocking does not kill a processor. HEAT kills a processor. It's going to get hotter, becuase its going faster. If you manage that extra thermal energy properly, it won't harm your CPU. My experience with AMD is limited, but most "mainstream" model Intel CPUs will give you overclocks that exceed the stock clock speed of the next higher model. That means, you're saving a LOT of money.
Consider this $350 i7-920 CPU that is runing in excess of the clock stock speeds of the 965 which is priced at $1,000

Last edited:
Reaction score
I should oveclock ?

I have not really tried to overclock maybe its a vestage from the days of having only 4 meg of ram and an intel processor .
Will Follow the thread and see how you guys do with the overclocking then maybe put my foot in the water .
For me stability as always been the key criteria but if things look good am willing to have a go .

------------------- The foot in the water bit = bad choice of words ;)

Nice rig Khaotic

Last edited:

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Very nice work there Khaotic, that's a huge overclock! It might sound like a silly question, but what is the wooden block in the bottom right of the pic? Is that just supporting something, or is it a component?

I can totally understand water cooling if you are really in to the hardware and modding side of computers, as it's good fun to build something like that and make a good job of it. I used to really enjoy modding my old Lian-Li case and added a side window, LCD status display using the parallel port and a hard drive with transparent top (thanks to the use of a clean room and some perspex!).

Out of interest, how far do you think an air cooled i7 920 could go?

Reaction score
What is the wood for ?

I may be speaking out of turn but it looks like the wood is surporting the pipes ?

Must admit it made me want to look into overclocking ;) That is a nice rig :)

Ask a Question