Displaying sub-folders

Reaction score
I prefer the Win XP display mode in Windows Explorer: when you clicked on a folder name, the sub-folders automatically opened and displayed.

Is there any way in Windows 7 that will let the sub-folders open/display when you click on a main folder in Windows Explore; i.e. when I click on My Documents - I would like all of the sub-folders to display in the left hand column in Windows Explorer.

Thanks!

DWC

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
You want the entire folder tree fully expanded as soon as you open Windows Explorer? To be honest I don't recall that option even in XP.

But what it would do in XP was expand the folders to the exact place and tree structure as it had when you closed it (so if you had every folder expanded then it reopened expanded) and sadly this is gone.

Basically with libraries it is intended that all your data be available to you there and things like programs and OS files are meant to be protected and out of site. Ideally they would have you use libraries for everything and you would never need to access the C: drive tree at all. I know it is difficult and even frustrating for those of us who control our own machines who came from an OS where those things were openly allowed to deal with the new way but it does get easier with use.

I suspect there are at least a couple reasons for this type of change, but it all really comes down to controlling access: 1. For the novice user it helps keep them away from files that they shouldn't be touching and could damage the normal functionality of the computer. 2. More and more families set up multiple accounts and it helps to restrict access to data and programs on a per user basis.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Displaying sub folders

Thanks, TrainableMan. I was afraid this would be the answer. No - I don't want the ENTIRE tree structure to expand - I only want the folder whose name I click on to expand. For example, if I click on "My Documents" under User: Dana - I'd like all the sub folders under "My Documents" to expand when I click on the NAME. I just can't get used to clicking on that tiny little grayed-out arrow in front of the name!! Windows 7 requires a whole new way of working - and "change is hard!!"

If MS wants to makes things easier and faster for people (ALL people), they are going to have to do away with "tiny little arrows" and make them dark enough and big enough for EVERYONE to see - including 74-year-old ladies like me who have poorer eye-sight than the folks in their 30s and 40s!! :lol:

DWC

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Well if you want it to expand just the immediate subfolders under a folder you select, simply double-click rather than a single click. In XP a single click does both but in W7 a single click simply gives focus but a double click gives focus and expands the folders if not expanded or compresses them if they were expanded - So that is your closest choice ... use double-click.

Ask a Question