display driver stopped responding and has recovered

Reaction score
hello to everyone.

yeah i have the typical issue.Im having this problem since vista and now it is persistant in windows 7.had the same problem with my old pc and i have the same one with my new one.in my old pc i had a radeon 3870 with 2 gpus and i thought that the problem was the high tempature of the graphics card.worked hard made some more money and i bought a new pc,a desktop,now i have a radeon hd 5870 1 gpu.

i did many changes to try to find a solution,like different RAMs a new power unit for the pc...,anyway i checked all the hardware possibilities.so it comes down to the software.

concerning drivers they are all updated.all of them.i check every week.

so everytime i start my pc i know i'll experience this issue,even if i just watch a simple dvd or a youtube video.dont get me started about games!i have done...god knows...how many fresh reinstalls of windows and everything.nothing appears to work.
Today i just purchased crysis 2.the graphics were flawless,the frame rate too.i was playing at 1920x1080 with extreme settings,everything to maximum!no framerate drops even when there was mayhem with tons of explosions and fog and smoke and everything,and the graphics card tempature was around 40 to 50 max celcious degrees(no overheating).then it happened again.usually the first time it happens i get a weird colored screen for a few seconds (depending of the predominant color on the screen at the time, i get these light and dark strips and the sound stops in most cases),then a BSOD for a few seconds,and then i can continue playing...it usually happens a few more times until the pc totally crashes and stops responding to anything but a reset.then i reset.start up all over again.go into the game and set the lowest possible resolution and graphics settings.i even disable anti-alising.the same happens again.it appears that it doesnt have anything to do with how tough the graphics of a game are or if im watching a dvd or a hd blueray movie.there are those good days that it doesnt happen at all(1 day per 3 months)...even if im playing for hours and hours straight.other days its like hell and it happens even when im browsing the internet explorer...lol...

so any wisdom you can share with me will be very appresiated,cause im starting to think that this issue is paranormal!i cant find a logical explanation and no matter what i do its always there!

if you need a detailed list of drivers and hardware please tell me how to do it so i can better help you in helping me.

all i know is that i dont have this problem with windows XP.but im a gamer and i enjoy directx 11 so going back to XP is not an option.

thanks in advance!

p.s. most of the time whenever i start playing a game in about 30-60 seconds i have the first blackout and then in a few minutes the pc stops responding cause of this.

do nvidia cards have this issue?cause if its an amd thing then i'll gladly go and get a nvidia card...but before spending all that money again i wanna be sure.

EDIT:i just removed one of my RAMs and im running with 2 gb RAM now...just to check if only one RAM chip would have any affect on the problem
EDIT#2...nope that didnt work either.also today i was at my tech guy and we updated the motherboards BIOS and the graphics card BIOS...that didnt do anything...i cant understand how a problem like this can be so elusive

Last edited:
Reaction score
This is very interesting. Yes, nVidia cards are having this same problem which points to windows 7 having a big problem in regards to video drivers.

Based on what i have been reading, this problem has been around since last fall and i can not believe nobody has come up with a fix. Its probably boiling down to nobody wants to take claim to the problem.

Reaction score
i did many changes to try to find a solution,like different RAMs a new power unit for the pc...,anyway i checked all the hardware possibilities.so it comes down to the software.

concerning drivers they are all updated.all of them.i check every week.

1. You do use the driver sweeper whenever you reinstall the driver, correct?

http://www.guru3d.com/category/driversweeper/

2. Bios upgrade?

3. Attach:

- dmp's from C:\Windows\Minidump
- SCREENSHOTS OF CPU-Z memory and CPU tabs
- RAMMon HTML report (zip it)

http://windows7forums.com/blue-scre...mportant-every-thread-starter-please-see.html

Reaction score
1. You do use the driver sweeper whenever you reinstall the driver, correct?

http://www.guru3d.com/category/driversweeper/

2. Bios upgrade?

3. Attach:

- dmp's from C:\Windows\Minidump
- SCREENSHOTS OF CPU-Z memory and CPU tabs
- RAMMon HTML report (zip it)

http://windows7forums.com/blue-scre...mportant-every-thread-starter-please-see.html
well my pc now is in my tech guys shop...hes trying to figure it out.as soon as i get it back(if he doesnt find a solution) i'll upload the minidumps ...bios update:yeah i dont know what that has to do with anything but the radeon hd 5870 has her own bios,so we updated that just in case.anyway didnt know about driver sweeper.when i get the pc back i'll do that!

anyway thanks guys.as soon as i get my pc from my tech guy i'll upload all the nessesary stuff to help you help me!in case my friend cant figure it out.

Reaction score
im thinking its the north bridge( controls the pci e pci )/south bridge(controls the onboard gpu)

Last edited:
Reaction score
This is the latest thread I can locate on this subject. I'm far short of the tech savvy of these posts, so I am asking if there is any recent developments toward a solution. I am having the "Display driver stopped responding and has recovered" problem when merely toggling through image files or doing a Google search. I use Photoshoop extensively and do some video editing and so bought a high performance computer to tacilitate that. Surprisingly the problelm has not happened when I am performing memory intensive actions in Photoshop. But let me flip through pictures in Bridge or Windows Picture Viedwer and I get this error with increasing frequency.

I have an HP Pavilion Elite with nVidia GeForce GT 320 card, 9 gb of ram and a Pentium quat core processor. So far as I can figure this should be more than adequate for photo editing. The video driver issue does not seem tobe triggered by high demand tasks. It stops responding in fairly simple processes like viewing still images.

Any handle on a solution to this yet?

Thanks

Reaction score
i have this problem too with my ati 4670 card whenever i use win 7 x64 pro. if it's the same problem that i am having then it's down to TDR, which makes things even more awkward :( i've tried all seperate sticks of memory, and even all drivers on fresh formats to erradicate any trace of previous drivers.

Ask a Question