Disk Cleanup doesn't find C:\Windows\temp

Reaction score
Win 7 Pro x64 sp1

Looking through TreeSize Free, I happened to notice that my C:\WIndows\temp directory is just under 1 GB. Although I assume that I can just manually delete everything in there, I'm curious why Disk Cleanup doesn't seem to even notice that this directory exists. This is what Disk Cleanup looks like when "Run as administrator" --

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
If you are looking to find more things to free up space I suggest you use CCleaner instead.

FYI: C:\Windows\Temp should get almost no use, unlike Win98 and prior, because it is now under the protected OS system folders.

Reaction score
Perhaps C:\Windows\Temp "should get almost no use," but it still had about 900 MB of files. The issue wasn't lookiing for more things to delete but asking why Disk Cleanup didn't address this rather obvious location of deletable files. TFC by Old Timer does an excellent job at cleaning temporary files.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Well mine does offer some Temp files but I don't know if they include c:\Windows\Temp or not.
DiskCleanup.jpg

I guess I don't know what answer you are looking for. I don't know any way to change how Disk Cleanup works (other than the check boxes beside items in the list).

Shintaro

Reaction score
Hmmm I would be very careful about using Old Timer programs, they are meant for Techs (So he assumes you know what you are doing). Also he hasn't updated those tools since June 14th 2012.

I would strongly suggest that you use CCleaner as TrainableMan suggested. It is very well maintained.

Go to Control Panel -> System and Security -> System -> Advanced System Settings -> Environment Variables.
Where does it say that the TEMP directories are?
If they are not pointing to C:\Windows\temp then something else is using that directory.
In that case I would probably start with a couple of virus scans to make sure it is not some virus / malware.

1/ Please download and run Windows Defender Offline. It will create a CD / DVD / USB and will boot and scan your hard drive offline.
2/ Download and run TDSSKiller.
3/ Install Malwarebytes (Free Version) and scan your computer.

Last edited:

Ask a Question