difference

Reaction score
Hi guys
whats the difference between explorer 9 and explorer 64 bit,Ordinary explorer wont open a pdf drop down menue but 64 bit will ,which is older,i have a g series hp with both versions on it why?thanks guys

Reaction score
What do you mean bu explorer 9 ? Is it Internet Explorer 9
Do you have windows 7 32 bit or 64 bit (right click the computer icon in the desktop and select properties)
What is a pdf drop down menu ?
64 bit is newer than 32 bit.

Attachments

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
First off, Internet Explorer 8 and Internet Explorer 9 are both available in 32 & 64-bit so you are mixing things up a bit.

The fact is that even though IE 8, 64-bit came out with W7, many add-ins like flash, etc were not available till roughly a year ago. Therefore W7 was set up to automatically default to the 32-bit version whenever you click email or shortcut URLs; the only way to get the 64-bit version to run was to open it manually.

Even today, some add-ins are only available for 32-bit browsers. For example, your A/V may still not offer a 64-bit malware protection add-in for your 64-bit browsers (NORTON SYMANTEC, F-secure, and others). When you talk to their product support they tell you their product will still stop the virus once it is downloaded but if that's so fool proof then why do they have an add-in for 32-bit browsers that actually scan webpages? I digress, but basically, depending on your A/V, web pages may be less secure when visited using a 64-bit browser.

But more to your exact issue, it all depends what PDF support is loaded in the browser. Check your Tools ... Mange Add-ons ... and check the toolbars & extensions to see whate is loaded from Adobe (personally I see an Adobe PDF Link Helper & Adobe PDF Reader)

Reaction score
which

its telling me that its , windows 7 x 486 and explorer 64 bit

Reaction score
What do you mean bu explorer 9 ? Is it Internet Explorer 9
Do you have windows 7 32 bit or 64 bit (right click the computer icon in the desktop and select properties)
What is a pdf drop down menu ?
64 bit is newer than 32 bit.
pdf menue is on trying to get a pdf download all i get is a small saying about blank therefore the download cant start there is no information to let me download file ,its a telstra au account ,are you in oz thanks graham

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Could you post screenshots because I have no idea what Windows 7 x486 would be.

I'm not down under, I'm in the USA.

Reaction score
mix

its saying in tree and program files its "program x86,
i can open the window with fire fox ok also can open with the explorer 64bit,
in the tree (index of hard drive on left hand side windows explorer it tells me that there is 2 versions installed dont know why graham dont know how to give you a sreen shot,can i send a screen shot by email?

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
x86 is the 32-bit version (x64 is the 64-bit version)

Every browser needs the code (add-ons) to process the web items it finds (that aren't supported natively by the browser). Apparently your Firefox and your IE 64 have the add-ons they need to make it work; your IE 32-bit does not. If your PDF handler is from Adobe then visit the Adobe site.

What I would like to see is the error you get in IE 32-bit, as well as a screenshot of this drop down menu you get in IE 64.

You can upload your screenshot to your next post. Simple take the screenshot and store it on your hard drive then come here and start a post, see ...
How2PostAnImage.jpg

Last edited:
Reaction score
Gsau
You are really messing up the things. Explorer 64 bit cannot be run in a 32 bit(x84)Windows
windows.The only things that comes with windows with the name is EXPLORER.EXE and INTERNET EXPLORER (iexplorer.exe).Explorer.exe is a core windows process and Internet explorer is just a browser(examples- Opera,Google Chrome,Firefox etc etc etc)
Do you have a 32 bit or 64 bit windows

Program x84 folders are seen in 64 bit windows

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
I suspect Gsau has a 64-bit system and so he would have iexplorer.exe in C:\program files which would be the 64-bit version and he would have another iexplore in C;\program files (x86) which is the 32-bit version of internet explorer

Pretty sure amoltom meant x86, not x84, that would be a typo.

To make it work we need to figure out if you are using a normal Adobe PDF handler or one of the alternatives and then you need to get their add-on loaded into the browser that currently won't display PDFs.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Gsau, This is what I see if I go to a web page with only pdf content...
SavePdf.jpg

This particular window popped up for me in Firefox but I'm trying to find out if this is what you mean by the menu you can't get in IE 32-bit?

Ask a Question