Desktop probs: Missing shortcuts and can't assign hotkey

Reaction score
I don't know if this is specific to Windows 7, but not sure where else to post it.

I just noticed that at least 3 shortcuts disappeared from my desktop (there are about 50). They were not placed each other so I'm not sure why those 3, or when or how. I did not find them in the recycle bin.

So, I recreated them. One had a hotkey sequence assigned to it. I cannot re-assign this hotkey sequence. When I press the keys, the window blinks, looses focus, and no error message is displayed. Pressing this hotkey to see if it does something results in nothing apparent happening.

There is another shortcut with a hotkey that did not disappear. That hotkey works just fine.

I want to re-assign the hotkey to the re-created shortcut. Anyone have experience or a good thought about this?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Good to know that, however, none of the 3 shortcuts that disappeared were broken shortcuts. They were each fully functional.

Ask a Question