Desktop icons get rearranged by win7

Reaction score
Is there any way to keep win7 from changing my desktop icons the way I had set it? I've "unchecked" "align icons to grid" & "auto arrange".

Still, win7 arrange my icons on occasion which is not based on any normal "standards".

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Do you have multiple monitors or a projector? Do you play games that change the resolution?

These are common causes for the icons to be moved automatically.

There are some third-party programs to restore icons which you can search but I have no experience with any.

Elmer BeFuddled

Resident eejit
Reaction score
As TM says, multiple monitors, a projector or games that change the resolution will upset your desktop layout.
I use Jamie O’Connells Desktop Icon Save and Restore to keep my desktop layouts as I want them. It adds in two or three entries to your desktop context menu.

Reaction score
I'm using "only" 1 monitor. BUT the video card is connected to the TV which is used occasionally for viewing a video from the internet.

The rearrange occurs when the TV is not on & haven't been on connected to the computer for days.

Will check out the save desktop.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Make sure your monitor is set as the primary desktop.

Reaction score
I'm using Windows 7, 32-bit, and the following works for me and is reproducible.

Right-click on the desktop. From the drop-down menu select "Personalize."
From the offering of "Themes" select "Windows 7 Basic"
After the newly selected theme is displayed you may close the "Personalization" window.

Now, arrange all of the icons where you want them. Re-boot.

When the desktop comes up all of the icons should be where you left them.

Now you can change to a different theme. Rt-click the desktop, select personalize and then pick a theme. I use Landscapes and all of my icons stay where they should.

One obvious shortcoming is that every newly added icon would require this procedure.

Ask a Question