SOLVED Connected by Homegroup but cannot open the libraries on the other computer

Reaction score
I have the exact same situation as hellic [MOD EDIT] in this thread HERE

Hi! I'm having trouble sharing my files between two Windows 7 computers, one 32-bit and one 64-bit but both build 7100. I've got the comps connected in a LAN with a Linksys WRT54G ver. 6 router (updated firmware).

The two comps are in the same Homegroup, with the network discovery, file sharing, etc. turned on and password protection turned off. I can see the homegroup libraries of one computer from the other (i.e. the 32-bit homegroup/libraries is visible from the explorer window of the 64-bit comp).

However, I cannot open any of the library folders. I double-click but it does nothing.

As a test, I shared a random folder (Contacts) on the homegroup. The folder is visible from the other comp, but when I try to access it Windows gives the error "The network path was no found (error code 0x80070035)". Diagnosing the problem does nothing.

The same error appears when I try accessing the other comp from the Network explorer. I tried using user accounts and passwords to connect instead of using the homegroup, but the network error also appears.

Any help?

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
Didn't work.....and worse

OK....I have attempted all suggested solutions. In uninstalling/reinstalling Network Adapters, I seem to have broken my internet connection on the 64-bit machine. And actually, I was not able to complete the last suggestion because I could not find the checkbox mentioned on the 32-bit machine.

My networking situation seems to be getting more broken instead of fixed. This is my fifth session of trying to set up the homegroup and I'm getting nowhere. Please help!

Core

all ball, no chain
Reaction score
Have you installed all available patches from Microsoft Update?

Reaction score
OK....I have attempted all suggested solutions. In uninstalling/reinstalling Network Adapters, I seem to have broken my internet connection on the 64-bit machine. And actually, I was not able to complete the last suggestion because I could not find the checkbox mentioned on the 32-bit machine.

My networking situation seems to be getting more broken instead of fixed. This is my fifth session of trying to set up the homegroup and I'm getting nowhere. Please help!
I've run into a similar situation myself. What worked for me was to remove all pc's from the network, then unjoin the network and then reboot and recreate the homegroup and re-adding all pc's bact to the homegroup using the newly created homegroup password.

Reaction score
I have solved this problem although at this point I forget how. Thanks for your efforts.

Ask a Question