Computers showing as media devices in Network

Reaction score
Our network has around 20 computers which all share files. Lately I've been seeing "Media Devices" with computer's names in the Network window. I guess if they were in both lists that would be OK and I'd probably not even notice the media devices. But yesterday there were but few computers in the computer lists and some of the computers I needed were only in the Media Devices list. I can tell you that things on the Media Devices list don't act the same in that they aren't accessible as a network computer would normally be.

This is a peer-to-peer network and I suppose I could tell myself that the Master Browser was in the process of catching up as sometimes happens. Nonetheless, what I'd like to do is get rid of the *computers* in the Media Devices list altogether.

I've read various approaches about obvious settings but none of them seem to fit.
- No Homegroups.
- Network discovery is and has always been turned ON and I intend to keep it that way.
etc.

Now I notice that those listed as Media Devices also have a username attached to the computername on the list. ???

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
First, I'm a strong believer in Workgroups, not Homegroups, but since you are dead set on homegroups ...

I believe in homegroups settings under "Share media with devices", you should turn off "stream my pictures, videos, ..." if you don't want the computers to show in Media Devices.

And I seem to recall something about them all needing to be in the same Domain to see them on the network.

I would also recommend that if you have 20 computers you should be locking down these settings in Group Policy Manager so the users can't change them.

Reaction score
??"Dead set on Homegroups"?? I said "NO Homegroups".....

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
I read it that you were listing why the solutions you found would not work for you, because they suggested "no homegroups" or they suggested to turn off network discovery and "you have it ON and intend to keep it that way".

So then you are using Workgroups? and are they all under one Domain?

Ask a Question