Classic Windows Sound Scheme?

Reaction score
Hi, I'm looking for a Classic Windows sound scheme.

I'm talking about the sounds from Windows 2000, and 98, 95. Those sounds. Where can I get them? If you have them from having these versions of windows, can you consider emailing them to me?

-thanks

Reaction score
Google-->windows 95 sounds--> page 3--> should be the third entry on that page.

I'd post the link but I don't want the board to get into trouble.

I didn't see anything on the "popular" :rolleyes: sites, though.

Reaction score
Google-->windows 95 sounds--> page 3--> should be the third entry on that page.

I'd post the link but I don't want the board to get into trouble.

I didn't see anything on the "popular" :rolleyes: sites, though.

didnt see anything there, all i saw was the start up theme =/

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I think Satchmo didn't post the link as it's a torrent site.

I've had a look all over the place for the old MS sound scheme, but I can't find it anywhere. You may get some luck if you google for the filenames such as "chord.wav" and see if they are the ones you are after :)

James M. Fisher

Geezer
Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
I found a thread in another Windows forum in which it mentioned that some of the sound (wav) files from Win98 do not play in Vista for some reason, so even if you did locate them, they may not work. :(

If anyone can find out how to extract these sounds from the old Windows CDs, I can give it a try, since I still have them all. :)

Last edited:
Reaction score
I found a thread in another Windows forum in which it mentioned that some of the sound (wav) files from Win98 do not play in Vista for some reason, so even if you did locate them, they may not work. :(

If anyone can find out how to extract these sounds from the old Windows CDs, I can give it a try, since I still have them all. :)

Im on Windows XP, and I got a Windows 98SE disk, IDK where the sounds are on the disk. Any help plz?

Reaction score
Im on Windows XP, and I got a Windows 98SE disk, IDK where the sounds are on the disk. Any help plz?
I think you can just copy the wav files from c:\windows\media. I don't know which file they will be compressed in to, so you may need to install Win98SE in to VirtualPC or VirtualBox.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
The files are stored in .CAB files on the Windows 98 CD, IIRC. I found a list of the filenames on this site:

http://www.linearlogic.nb.ca/Win98FileList.html

You should be able to search for any .wav file you are after and then just extract it direct from the CD via the CAB file. Just search for files like "start.wav" or "chord.wav" etc... :)

Ask a Question