Change Windows 7 language

Reaction score
Hi folks, got a quick question for you!

I have been given a laptop with a Portuguese version of Windows 7 Home Premium on it, and I would like to change it so it uses English if possible. Is there a way to do this without getting an English installation DVD and using the same key?

Veedaz

~
Reaction score
Hi popup

To change language in Windows 7 (if your version is supported), Go > Control Panel Category view, click on Clock, Language, and Region link, and then click on Change display language link under "Region and Language" section, click on Region and Language icon, and then go to Keyboards and Languages tab. Under "Display language" section, choose a display language from the list of installed language packs, Click Apply then log out and back in or reboot.

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
You should have, through the updates, have received a huge list of possible language packs. I have never installed a foreign version of the OS, but possibly English is installed as an option by default. But if you find the instructions above do not offer you an alternative, language pack, it will be necessary to download one.
After you have clicked the "install/uninstall languages" option, there being no English listed, a new window will pop up. Select "Install Display languages". Yet another window will pop up. Here you can "Launch Windows update", which will fetch 40 or more update offers for different languages. (You may have to Hide the ones you don't want, with a right click) Otherwise, insert your original installation DVD and select the bottom option, "Browse Computer or network." I have not tried the latter, from a Foreign language DVD point of view, but possibly the English language pack is included on the DVD, as it is often a default.

Of course, it is possible, if you have automatic updates selected in your default options, it has already downoaded and installed the whole lot!!!

Reaction score
Hi popup

If you are having difficulty reading the language.

Could you use two computer. Click your way through on both machines to guide you.

I have never needed to change languages, so I don't have any experience with the language packs.

Reaction score
Thanks all, I now have English on the laptop for the most part - but it looks like I will need to download the extra packs from the net to get other languages (thanks Dave).

Ask a Question