Change location of My Documents Folder - Discussion

Reaction score
I tried to do this but in the property windows of my documents there is no location tab?????

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Do you have all of the other tabs listed and did you browse to My Documents via C:\Users\<Username>?

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Are you logged on as an Administrator?

If this fails, you could try it manually using regedit at the following locations:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Folders

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders

Reaction score
Dreaded you do not have permission again

Seemed to be working by then the access denied for my own documents folder kicked in.

Back to MS knows best, don't you dare think otherwise.

Reaction score
Ian I have Build 7100, I tried to change location of mydocuments to the E: drive using your excellent directions, but when I am identifying the new location and I click on the E: drive, I immediately get a windows failure: WINDOWS EXPLORER HAS STOPPED WORKING.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Ian I have Build 7100, I tried to change location of mydocuments to the E: drive using your excellent directions, but when I am identifying the new location and I click on the E: drive, I immediately get a windows failure: WINDOWS EXPLORER HAS STOPPED WORKING.
Do you get any error codes in event viewer? Also, if you try changing the My Documents location in Safe Mode do you have any success? (It's a long shot, but could work).

Veedaz

~
Reaction score
Im on RC1 Build 7100 and i just changed the location of my docs just to see if i could and it worked ?, BTW thanks Ian !

Reaction score
I have the problem of no "locations" tab. I am the only user, and the administrator. What am I doing wrong?

Reaction score
Problem with installers after moving My Documents on Win 7

I moved My Documents to a private network share on my corporate network. Everything worked fine, including offline synchronization, until I tried to install some additional software. For example, the installer for Adobe Acrobat Reader through an invalid drive error (referencing the network share) and aborted the installation. Can anyone provide recommendations for resolving this installer issue?

Reaction score
Hi, Ian:

Thanks for your article on changing file locations I have a windows 7 64 bit platform witn a c: drive and a d: drive. I tryed to delete the appdata on the c:\ drive to get rid of it and the "documents", "Pictures" and "Music" links dont work on the startup menu any more. How can I fix them?

Also, when I move the documents folder I am left with these weird residual folder copies withe the same account folder structure but with the Computer name on the end, i.e:

d:\users\mike mcwilliams
on the d: drive still leave

c:\users\mike mcwilliams.MIKERS_LAPTOP on the C: drive. Why is it doing this and how can I get rid of it?

Thanks

Mike

Reaction score
What if the My Documents folder does not exist in in the shell folders or user shell folders in the registry?

Reaction score
I'm using build 7100 also but it doesn't stuff up 4 me

Reaction score
undo change of location of My Documents?

Hi Ian!

I did a clean install of W7 Pro (used Windows Expert Transfer from XP) and followed your great Article to move My Documents from C:\ to my D:\ drive. I made a mistake and did not create a My Documents folder on D but simply selected the D drive. Now the 21 folders that were in My Documents on C are in the root directory of D (my bad). D has other folders in the root directory. I want to undo my mistake and get back to where things were and then do the change of location the right way

I note your post about modifying the two registry locations at the beginning of this thread of Comments following your Article.

I would appreciate your expert advice on what to do.

Thanks in advance.

Don A

Reaction score
Change location of My Documents Folder

Hi Ian,

I logged on as administrator but there's still a lock icon on my user folder. When I look at properties I don't have the location tab....

I'm using Windows 7 Enterprise Ed, fully activated.

Reaction score
look out with this

This worked fine for me. I did find two issues.

1. If you select move it deletes the old location. We set it to a mapped drive then set it back to the default and it deleted the network share.

2. When we install third party software, it won’t install because the mapped drive for My Documents is not allowed. So we had set it back to the default. Does anyone know how to fix this? The main third party software is AutoCAD.

Reaction score
Missing My Documents in Registry

Are you logged on as an Administrator?

If this fails, you could try it manually using regedit at the following locations:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Folders

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders
I tried the above, but while all the other folders under my user name are listed in the Registry - and while there is a My Documents folder under my user name the My Documents entry is missing from the Registry - why and how can I correct this?

Ask a Question