CCleaner W7 - Not a good idea

Reaction score
WIN 7 and ccleaner...no, thanks.
Huh? You do realize that it's the app of choice amongst most seasoned professionals, right?

It's actually the one and only reg cleaner I ever advise using, with the exception of JV16 PowerTools.

Reaction score
Huh? You do realize that it's the app of choice amongst most seasoned professionals, right?

It's actually the one and only reg cleaner I ever advise using, with the exception of JV16 PowerTools.
Having tried and rejected several, It is also the only one that I use. I use it every day with NO problems at all.

Digerati

Post Quinquagenarian
Microsoft MVP
Reaction score

1 post and banned - not worth any attention.

Reaction score
I have no problems with it.

I have no problems with Ccleaner on Windows 7 Professional x64. I only used it to do disk cleanups and to trim down my old Restore Points. I let Tuneup Utilities handle the registry and RevoUninstaller Pro handle the software uninstalls and free space cleaning.
I was reading that maybe it is not a good idea to use the registry cleaner on W7. Apparently you have a number of keys that will show up for possible deletion that are still used but only idea at the time. So by deleting these you may run into problems later on. It does have a registry backup option and I always backup before doing any work on my registry but some may not do this.

Digerati

Post Quinquagenarian
Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
I only used it to do disk cleanups and to trim down my old Restore Points.
Ummm, I don't think so. CCleaner does not clean out old restore points. If you want to do that, I recommend using Windows own Disk Cleanup to remove all but the most recent point.

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Yes it does, but you need to enter alternative choices. For example:

Select the Tools icon at left.
Click System Restore.
Select the System Restore point in the list, that you want to remove.
Click Remove. You get a prompt.. Click OK.

Digerati

Post Quinquagenarian
Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
:eek: I've only been using CCleaner for about 10 years!!!! Sorry about that!

Reaction score
:eek: I've only been using CCleaner for about 10 years!!!! Sorry about that!
If it helps ya feel any better, I too have never realized that. Probably because my System Restore is always disabled as one of the first things upon a Windows install anyhow.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
1 post and banned - not worth any attention.
See, that's what happens when you speak bad about CCleaner on this site :p

For any newbies reading this, it's a joke. Spamming paid software is the most common thing that gets you banned. CCleaner comes highly recommended here but you are entitled to your misguided opinion if you disagree :rolleyes:

Digerati

Post Quinquagenarian
Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Probably because my System Restore is always disabled as one of the first things upon a Windows install anyhow.
Not me. I think it is a valuable tool. More than once I have had a driver update fail and SR saved me. It is also good to roll back to a previous state if you try out a new program - especially a registry intensive program, not like it and uninstall.

The disadvantages I have heard about System Restore are bogus, IMO. The first is that malware can hide in restore points. While that is true, malware does infect restore points. That is, if you download malware, it does not seek out restore points to infect. Rather, it infects files that later may be included in a restore point. That means the user has already failed at practicing safe computing. To use infected restore points as an excuse not to use SR is bogus - for the same reason you would not use that as an excuse to perform regular backups.

The second reason, and the one most commonly heard is that it uses resources. That's bogus too. For one, it only runs with called upon, and for another, it ALWAYS yields disk space if disk space is low. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/300044

Reaction score
To me System Restore is useless. Any problem that happens I can fix without issue.

System restore is not necessary to get rid of a faulty driver. Simply press f8 at boot to get the menu and then choose last known good configuration or last settings that worked. (Forget the wording because I think it's different with Vista and 7.)

It's an annoyance to me to see it in action during Windows Updates and I don't like how the shadow copies mess up my disk defragments.

Perhaps less knowledgeable Windows users could benefit from SR I suppose. To me, there's not a need.

Digerati

Post Quinquagenarian
Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Simply press f8 at boot to get the menu and then choose last known good configuration or last settings that worked.
The problem with that is it is resets every time you have a good boot. So, if you have rebooted successfully twice since the failed update, that option will not work. And while I admit, there are other, relatively simple ways to roll back a failed driver update, SR is even simpler.

Also, you cannot undo changes made with the Last Known option, but you can undo changes made with SR.

As far as disk defragmenting, I suppose that's an issue but I never defrag without purging my system of temp files first - and that includes old restore points. Because temp files are stored on the HD every time you use the computer, especially when you access the Internet, and because I think it pointless and even counterproductive to defrag with a bunch of tiny temp files on the HD, I'm not a fan of automatic or real-time defraggers, and don't use them.

And speaking of Windows Update, though I have not (yet - knock on forehead/wood) had one fail with Windows 7, using SR to recover from a botched update is also pretty simple - but not possible if disabled, and may not be possible with "Last known good configuration".

I'm not saying you are wrong to disable it, but if you have because of past experience with XP SR, then I think you should reconsider SR in Win7.

Reaction score
Same here about defragging and temp files.

Not quite sure why you're trying to convince me to use SR when there is no circumstance it could ever help me with. Like I said, I could fix whatever the problem is large or small, even with failed and botched SP1 upgrades that can't boot, because of a MS fault like I did on this machine.

Like I said - for me, it is a waste of time, space, messes up defrags and I don't want/need the volume shadow copy service activated ever on any circumstance. I don't need system memory taken by the service, especially since I'm only working with 2 GB to begin with.

My machines are tweaked to the hilt, just how I like them.

Digerati

Post Quinquagenarian
Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Not trying to convince you to use System Restore. Just want to make sure no one reading is under the impression there are advantages to disabling it. Frankly, I see no advantages in disabling it - even if there is never a need to use it.

Reaction score
I do use System Restore

I do use Systtem Restore. I full agree with you it's definitel a valuable featrure in both Vista and 7. I only use Ccleaner to remove older than a week Restore Points.
Not trying to convince you to use System Restore. Just want to make sure no one reading is under the impression there are advantages to disabling it. Frankly, I see no advantages in disabling it - even if there is never a need to use it.

Ask a Question