CCleaner W7 - Not a good idea

Reaction score
I was reading that maybe it is not a good idea to use the registry cleaner on W7. Apparently you have a number of keys that will show up for possible deletion that are still used but only idea at the time. So by deleting these you may run into problems later on. It does have a registry backup option and I always backup before doing any work on my registry but some may not do this.

Reaction score
I have had NO problems whatsoever with C Cleaner on W 7 Home Premium 32 bit if this is of any assistance. I use it every day at close down, and whenever I uninstall anything.:D

Reaction score
Well I am also using it and also have no issues so far. As I say I always do a backup of my registry before any changes. I am also using it on my XP box as well also no issues so far

Reaction score
I alwaye use the back up option, but have never needed my back up. I delete them after a few days.:)

Digerati

Post Quinquagenarian
Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Yeah, instead of "I was reading" how about a link? I've used CCleaner on many Win7 machines, 32 and 64-bit for nearly a year now with absolutely zero problems.

As with ANY registry cleaner, I don't recommend using one to "fix" a broken Windows. And I don't buy into any claims to "optimize" Windows, or to make it run 50 times or even 2 times faster. But I frequently use CCleaner to "tidy" up the registry after uninstalling programs or changing out hardware.

And even though I have never had problems with CCleaner, I always follow the prompts to backup the registry.

Reaction score
I use CCleaner about once a month on Windows 7 x64. Cleaning, defragging or compacting the registry can in no way make the computer faster, but it satisfies my organizational lust.

Reaction score
CCleaner causes no problems on my 64bit Win 7 Pro machine. The registry cleaner utility has never caused an issue and is the only one I'd use.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
I've been using CCleaner on Win 2K, XP Pro, Vista & Windows 7 (32 & 64 bit). With no problem whatsoever. I use it to disable unneeded startup programs, cleaning up the registry (after backing up), getting rid of tons of useless temporary internet & system files. And I use it on a nightly basis.

CCleaner is one of the best free apps on the market, along with it's siblings, Recuva & Defraggler. It can find many useless files that an average computer user wouldn't even know how to find.

I give CCleaner a five star rating, with no hesitation.

Cat

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
I think the list here would be shorter if you asked what regulars on w7forums DON'T use it.
Like Digerati mentioned, if at all possible please provide source links.

Reaction score
Well I am very happy with it as well and use it on my W7 and XP systems. Unfortunately I cannot remember where I read this so no link sorry. It just sprung to mind after I had suggested it for the great free apps thread I posted in. Not sure why but it did, so I thought I would just see how others feel as I never had any issue with it to date

So there you go "I was just reading this some place " :D

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Well from the response you got it sounds like an internet hoax. Any program that deep into the registry can of course cause problems but maybe they had the problems already and if you use the backup option first then ccleaner registry changes can be completely restored.

ccleaner is an excellent product, highly recommended by the members of this forum, when used properly. Always read the instructions and back up your registry.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
It happens all the time. There are many good & useful free (and paid) apps on the market. Sometimes, one may have had a bad experience, simply because they didn't know how to use it, and expressed their opinion on the net.

Or it could be someone that is employed or is paid by a competitor, to give a biased (or made up) bad review, so that they can push their product. It's been known to happen.

In any case, if the software works for the user, pay no attention to the press.

Cat

Reaction score
Well I did not pay much attention to it when I read it as I had been using CCleaner for some time with no problems. Then I always backup before I use it anyway. Funny how something can spring to mind just out of the blue like that lol

Reaction score
Before joining this forum, I had heard of CCleaner but never used it myself. After reading good comments from the forum members, I decided to use CCleaner for myself. After a complete year of weekly use without any issues, I will give CCleaner a 5 star rating.

Reaction score
I don't know of anyone who has had a problem with Ccleaner that I've ever heard about. I was using it before I found the win7 forum but it is still comforting to know that others expereinces mirror my own when using it.

Digerati

Post Quinquagenarian
Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
I don't know of anyone who has had a problem with Ccleaner that I've ever heard about.
I think the problem is it is lumped together with all other registry cleaners, registry "fixers" and Windows "optimizers" which do indeed have a history of causing problems. And so, to err on the side of caution, CCleaner, by far, the least aggressive cleaner, gets condemned along with them.

Reaction score
Yeah, there must be a huge market out there of people trying to sell fixers and such.
I've lost count of the ones I've seen. Tried even less. Regscrub XP has been safe but as it's name suggests is only for XP.. I've tried Glary Ultities with caution. Other then that I've left well enough alone.

Digerati

Post Quinquagenarian
Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
I've used Glary and Comodo System Clean. Comodo broke one system, but it has a very nice feature where it does not make the changes permanent until you check everything out. I was able to roll back to a working system, with no problems. In any case, these programs do NOT make your computer perform "better than ever" - at best, they can take it back to when it was new. And you should NEVER run these to "fix" a broken computer.

I really only feel comfortable using a good cleaner on a system when I have been using it since the computer was new. If I run a cleaner and it says it has found 800, 1000 or more "errors", I back out as fast as I can. I like to run CCleaner to clean out the clutter immediately after building a new computer and applying all the upgrades. Then I run it after major upgrades, or when changing out major programs (like if I change security scanners).

If a cleaner has never been run on a older system, there is a very good chance something will break when running it. Even with CCleaner.

If you do not know your way around the Registry, or do not know what is happening, then I recommend just leaving the Registry alone. And ALWAYS backup the Registry before dinking with it. These three programs I mentioned offer to back up first, but I use ERUNT regularly and highly recommend it. And ALWAYS ensure you have a good backup of all your important data.

Elmer BeFuddled

Resident eejit
Reaction score
Now, if you want a registry cleaner that will clear your registry, try the Win 7 manager one! Where CCleaner found 100+ entries after removing Office '07 trial, the win 7 manager one found in excess of 900!!

I, of course, used CCleaner. :)

TBH Win 7 manager is only on here because I like the junk file cleaner, I never use the rest of it, so if someone could recommend a free alternative....
Something where you have options to specify what "junk" you're hunting for.

Ask a Question