SOLVED Can't install IE 11 system says both I do and also don't have service pack 1

Reaction score
I purchased a "refurb" Dell Optiplex 780 that has window 7 64-bit OS loaded. It is running the MS IE 8 browser. I keep getting a message that I need to upgrade to MS IE 11. I have tried but I get the error message that I must have Win 7 service pack 1 in order to install IE 11.

SP1 was successfully downloaded and installed according to the windows updater screen. However, the Systems screen does not show SP1 and IE 11 still will not install. I have been through the process about 4 times with no success.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Reaction score
Please run sfc to see whether the system files are corrupted, and it will fix disk problem automatically:

How to run sfc by administrator on windows 7 /vista:

Go to Start / All Programs / Accessories.

Right click the Command Prompt item and select the 'Run As Administrator' option.

Click Continue on the UAC prompt.

In the command prompt window, type the following command.

SFC /SCANNOW

Press ENTER.

(Make sure the command is entered exactly as shown, including the space)

This will take a few minutes to run, try not to use the computer while it is running.

After this is finished, exit any running programs and reboot the computer.

Reaction score
BettyGreen
Thanks for the suggestion. I ran SFC /SCANNOW just as you directed. Came up empty. Message was that nothing irregular (or to that effect) was found.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
The issue is more likely your registry than your system files and unless you can use System Restore to return to a restore point prior to the registry damage then your best option is often to back up all your data with Windows Easy Transfer and then do a complete W7 Installation.

NOTE: Make sure you have your W7 product key before your reformat your hard drive because it can be extracted from the registry of the existing install

Reaction score
The darndest thing just happened this afternoon. When I turned on the PC It went through some gyrations including a blue screen situation, a system repair on startup and, finally, started trying to install SP1 on its own.

It took about an hour, failed at least 7 times (with a shutdown and restart each time) and did it without any intervention from me save having to give my login password. Each time the progress bar on the installation showed it making ever increasing progress toward a 100% install of SP1.

It finally succeeded, SP1 is installed and I was able to install IE 11, although that took two tries before I had a successful install. Anyway thanks for all your help and suggestions.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
So apparently SP1 never finished till today. Glad you got it worked out.

Reaction score
I would like to take credit for working it out but the only action I took was uninstalling my antivirus program a couple of days ago. I only knew to do that because I checked out the install error codes. After that the machine did it all by itself.

Ask a Question