SOLVED Can't double-click to open folders or files

Reaction score
My Win7 machine does not allow me to left double-click to open files or folders anymore.

Error Message Received:

This file does not have a program associated with it for performing this action . . . create an association the the Default Programs control panel.

I do not know what the association of the left double-click is . . . can anyone assist?

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
If I understand correctly, I think you'll need to run the "folder" association fix listed on the link below (last item in the table). That should re-associate it for you :)

http://www.winhelponline.com/blog/file-asso-fixes-for-windows-7/

To fix the association for a particular file type:
1. Download the corresponding fix from the above table. (Use Right-click – Save as option in your browser to download the fixes.)
2. Unzip the file and extract the .REG file to Desktop.
3. Right-click the REG file and choose Merge. Alternately, you can open the Registry Editor and then using the Import option from the File menu, to merge the REG file contents.
Note that you need to be an administrator to apply these fixes.

Reaction score
double click fix

hi this may be to late for you but may help someone else i was recently looking to solve a double cick issue and despite looking around could not find the answer i was looking for but managed to solve the problem myself i went to my mouse setting in control panel and adjusted mouse speed i had it on high i have now reduced it to around three quarters and all seems good

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
paid2getin, the original OP in this situation seems to have lost his file association(s). So technically the double-click was working, there was just no file association for the computer to know what to do when it was sensed. Your case sounds like it was actually how fast two clicks needed to be hit in succession to actually trigger a double-click event.

A little different situation but it was nice of you to join the forum and try to help. As you said, someone new who is searching for a solution may be in the OPs situation or in yours, so thank you for posting. Welcome to w7forums.

Ask a Question