SOLVED can't delete some files in Windows explorer because the files are open in windows exp

Reaction score
Hi fellow members

I apologise if this question has been answered elsewhere, but my searching was unable to locate any relevant thread.

As you can see from the image above (resolution was a bit big) for selected files, when I try and delete, I get this error meaasge. File is not open in any other program and I am thinking is this a bug or have I got some preference incorrectly selected somewhere?

Any help is appreciated.

malmac

Reaction score
Thank you for your feedback.

I have tried a reboot - but this has not fixed the problem. The message changed slightly but still cant delete the folder I want to.

Any further thoughts?

Thanks

Mal

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
I second Unlocker. I have used it for many years (even on XP) and I highly recommend it. It will attempt to remove the locks and allow you to move or delete and if it cannot then it will offer to handle it for you on next reboot.

Reaction score
Thank you very much - unlocker did the trick - well that takes away the annoying sympton - still wonder about the cause but that may become eveident in due course.

Thanks heaps.

malmac

Ace

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
If Unlocker doesn't work for you in the future, download FileASSASIN, which is a bit more forceful than Unlocker. Otherwise there is a program called Avenger, but I highly suggest not using it, as it's a very powerful program.

The issue you were probably having is with Windows using that file every time you opened explorer to try and delete it lol. So you could have probably removed it through a cmd prompt, however Unlocker is much simpler.

Reaction score
To byepass the need to install a program for the need to only use it once, removing it in safe mode may work.

Ace

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
To byepass the need to install a program for the need to only use it once, removing it in safe mode may work.
That sometimes doesn't work, but even then if it doesn't you'd have to boot back into normal mode and look for another alternative which takes time. I know programs like Unlocker and FileASSASIN work, and I use them a fair bit when I need to force a deletion for a file. Mostly Avenger

Ace

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Take your time to look into FileASSASIN there Roderunner, I guarantee you'll probably like it, unless you're fine with Unlocker or Safe Mode. To each their own, some people encounter more complicated problems with file deletion than others.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
I've never gone to safe mode to delete a file. I would propose that if a file can only be deleted in safe mode that it is either 1) a system file you shouldn't be deleting or 2) malware. Now if it is malware then of course you need to do whatever you have to to get rid of it but be certain first that it is in fact malware.

Ace

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
I've never gone to safe mode to delete a file. I would propose that if a file can only be deleted in safe mode that it is either 1) a system file you shouldn't be deleting or 2) malware. Now if it is malware then of course you need to do whatever you have to to get rid of it but be certain first that it is in fact malware.
It's still a method that works, if you're willing to wait for your computer to reboot and hit the F8 key on startup to boot into safe mode.

Also, there's no true way of telling that a file isn't malware even if you don't see anything suspicious. There's lots of malware that could be binded with the functions of regular files that you'd never suspect

Ask a Question